Model Cars Magazine Forum

NAME THAT ENGINE......

Guest zebm1

Guest zebm1

It's a heliocopter engine modified to run horizontally by Mr. Tucker's boyz.....don't remember tha copter's name tho....... :mellow:

Guest zebm1

yall got me...guess I'm gonna have to go esoteric on yuse guys....

here's tha T/A Camaro from back in tha day....

ToddH6.jpg

ToddH5.jpg

and tha heads.....

ToddH34.jpg

Tha vehicle ID Plate and block number.....

ToddH3.jpg

ToddH4.jpg

and what tha car looks like today...restored...

ToddH2.jpg

Perhaps it's a Lycoming water-cooled flat-4...... and whilst yall are at it, try this one on for size.....

007.jpg

That's one of the Fageol Twin-Coach Spl's in a garage in Gasoline Alley, Indianapolis. Engine is a modified Fageol bus 6-cylinder engine.

But, what is the engine I put up there?

Biscuitbuilder

Guest zebm1
OK, guys, this engine is???????

DSCF2445-vi.jpg

By the way, it's NOT an import!

Biscuitbuilder

Well let us look at this engine in closer detail....it has a Delco starter and a Delco generator with a Ford carburetor up top. Now it is painted in Olive Drab, which to me suggests Military Surplus. Going by the Delco parts, this must be a General Motors 1940s/1950s military application. I suspect that it is a rear-engined application, given that the exhausts exit upwards, perhaps a prototype application... Light Scout car.

Well let us look at this engine in closer detail....it has a Delco starter and a Delco generator with a Ford carburetor up top. Now it is painted in Olive Drab, which to me suggests Military Surplus. Going by the Delco parts, this must be a General Motors 1940s/1950s military application. I suspect that it is a rear-engined application, given that the exhausts exit upwards, perhaps a prototype application... Light Scout car.

considering where the radiator and fan is, it would not get any airflow being a rear engine.

The only two domestic flat 4s that I know of is Lycoming and Continental.

Edited by CAL

Guest zebm1

Well Cal, it's sitting on a skid, I suspect that in the vehicle it was originally intended for...that the radiator(s) were in a different location. B)

Well Cal, it's sitting on a skid, I suspect that in the vehicle it was originally intended for...that the radiator(s) were in a different location. B)

What about the fan?

:( It's begining to sound like this is a one off non production engine,in which case it would not be as known as a regularly seen and therefor known engine.I make this assumption from the reply"the car it WAS INTENDED to power".If it was not a regularly used production engine,And not a commercially available one, like an Offy, or Fronty,or likewise racing type that people would be familiar with,I don't expect anyone (exept maybe you)to be able to tell us just what it is. :huh::D

:( It's begining to sound like this is a one off non production engine,in which case it would not be as known as a regularly seen and therefor known engine.I make this assumption from the reply"the car it WAS INTENDED to power".If it was not a regularly used production engine,And not a commercially available one, like an Offy, or Fronty,or likewise racing type that people would be familiar with,I don't expect anyone (exept maybe you)to be able to tell us just what it is. :huh::D

Funny thing though, on that other "big message board", the one that gets millions of hits, several people figured it out, all but one by email. This engine is a prototype, perhaps the only one still in existence, designed and built by Studebaker in 1959, for a still-born subcompact car intended to compete with the european imports then on a roll in the US. It was rated, if I remember the placard correctly, at 75hp, which if it had come to market, might well have powered the first "pocket rocket" econobox car.

It was fun, both here and over on the other board, reading peoples' thoughts on it!

Biscuitbuilder