Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Mustang promod /streetracer coming soon

20170508_172640.thumb.jpg.c949727a7d8101Hey all 

OK...here is the new set of drawings. I think I have it figured out but, I won't know until I get the motor and turbos, they are being printed at Shapways as we speak. They are from Ron Olsen at 3d Specialties. I'm hoping they will be here by the end of this week. The first photo is a side view showing the 9"stretch.20170508_172513.thumb.jpg.c3a50772fd7480These last 2 are photos I downloaded off of the Internet. So look em over and let me know what you think.

Thanks  RonG 

20170508_172520.jpg

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

ron, before you stretch the body UN-neccissarily, you may want to check out photos from frank pompilio's '68 10.5 mustang. it may help.

Hey Dave  I can't find that post. I'm pretty sure I need to stretch it, there just isn't enough room with the components I'm using. I did several drawings at the stock length and no mater how I configure the turbos there isn't enough room to get it all in. I won't cut it until I have all of the components on hand.

Thanks  RonG 

Oh man,3D printing is sure going to change model building forever.The parts that can be made are simply incredible.I might look into buying one.But I hear that they are kind of expensive.By the way,your car is coming out great.I Can't wait to see it all finished.

Hey NYLIBUD 

You can get a decent one for around $1500.00, but don't forget that you have to design the parts before you can print them, and that it takes a long time to print them. The tires I'm using on my 65 stang took 11 hours to print and 2 hours to clean up. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a printer just saying it's not a easy process. My printer (actually it's my son's) cost was just under 2 grand and the materials cost around $150 - $200 dollars a bottle  (resin printer) you get about 4 maybe 5 of the tire size parts to a bottle. You need some kind of graphics or cad software and training in how to use it. I'm a retired, 35yrs. Automotive engineering designer. I designed the tooling and fixtures that put the cars together. I started drawing on the board, draftsmen, and changed to Unigraphics, it's called NX now, it is a very sophisticated cad software. I have been trying to get a copy for home, but it's way too expensive in the $30,000.00 dollar range. I'm trying to learn the graphics software that my son uses for his business. There is a learning curve and I'm still learning. I haven't created anything on it yet, my son made the tires for the '65. Like I said I'm not trying to discurage you just giving a heads up.

Thanks  RonG 

Hey NYLIBUD 

You can get a decent one for around $1500.00, but don't forget that you have to design the parts before you can print them, and that it takes a long time to print them. The tires I'm using on my 65 stang took 11 hours to print and 2 hours to clean up. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a printer just saying it's not a easy process. My printer (actually it's my son's) cost was just under 2 grand and the materials cost around $150 - $200 dollars a bottle  (resin printer) you get about 4 maybe 5 of the tire size parts to a bottle. You need some kind of graphics or cad software and training in how to use it. I'm a retired, 35yrs. Automotive engineering designer. I designed the tooling and fixtures that put the cars together. I started drawing on the board, draftsmen, and changed to Unigraphics, it's called NX now, it is a very sophisticated cad software. I have been trying to get a copy for home, but it's way too expensive in the $30,000.00 dollar range. I'm trying to learn the graphics software that my son uses for his business. There is a learning curve and I'm still learning. I haven't created anything on it yet, my son made the tires for the '65. Like I said I'm not trying to discurage you just giving a heads up.

Thanks  RonG 

Ah ha,Wow ?,I didn't realize they cost that much $$,and we're so involved.I think I'll do some more research on them.In the meantime,I Thank you very much for your help...

Hey fast Floyd 2

Thanks 

Hey NYLIBUD

You can get a cheap one for $200-$300 dollars, but the part quality from them is pretty low. You get a part, but by the time you clean it up and rework it, it would probably be easier to scratch build the part. They are improving them and the quality and prices will probably drop so keep looking and keep up with trends.

Thanks  RonG 

• 1 month later...