Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Subaru WRX STI

1hobby1

Hey All, 

Here is my finished Subaru WRX STI. It's painted in Testors Stop Light Red Metallic Enamel. It is pretty much box stock other than modified suspension, interior flocking, scratch built blast pipe style exhaust, and the wheels are from the Aoshima Vertex RX-7. It may not be everyone's style but it's is exactly how I intended for it to look! Hope you all enjoy! 

IMG_8292.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

IMG_8294.JPG

• 1 month later...

You did a fantastic job on it!

I have two of these that I was building at the same time. One stock and the other custom. Both are on hold. I am having paint issues with the stock one and can't find the custom wing that I want for the other. I'll get back to them soon.

Later-

Fantastic model. The Stop Light Red Metallic really sets it off. If you don't mind me asking, did you use primer underneath? If so what colour? Also, aluminum tube exhaust pipe?

Thank you. I did not primer underneath on this one. The body was in great shape. Lightly sanded a few spots and I started spraying. I do a 50/50 enamel/lacquer thinner mix and start spraying until it looks fully covered. Saw this method on YouTube and have had pretty good results with it. The exhaust pipe is aluminum. 

You did a fantastic job on it!

I have two of these that I was building at the same time. One stock and the other custom. Both are on hold. I am having paint issues with the stock one and can't find the custom wing that I want for the other. I'll get back to them soon.

Later-

Thank you! Hope all works out for you with the kits!

Thank you. I did not primer underneath on this one. The body was in great shape. Lightly sanded a few spots and I started spraying. I do a 50/50 enamel/lacquer thinner mix and start spraying until it looks fully covered. Saw this method on YouTube and have had pretty good results with it. The exhaust pipe is aluminum. 

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like Donn Yost's painting method.