Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP 1960 Chevy apache

Greetings builders,

I'am currently re-building the SMP version as a long bed wrecker, and using the AMT 1999 release of the '60 Chevy fleetside for a parts donor. My question is as what engine to use for the wrecker ? is the original engine a little to custom for this or would it be better to use the later release engine. Not to savy in the engine department, your comments and thoughts please.    THANKS

Probably depends really on what time period your little wrecker is supposed to represent, and whether it's a "working" wrecker for a gas-station etc. or something for show.

Just about any well-detailed smallblock Chevy V8 would work. They all look much alike for the most part (265-283-302-307-327-350-400).

From '58-'65, a 348-409 big-block would be kinda cool, and would probably be my choice, even if the truck was in service today.

If the truck is still working after '65, a re-engine with a gen-II big-block Chevy (366-396-427-454 all look pretty much the same) would be entirely possible in reality.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Some of the bigger trucks had a powerful 305ci V-6 in them.

Not only the bigger trucks, but I've seen two of these v-6's in pickups. Both of the ones that I've seen were in 68 GMC's. This would definitely be a cool option, but if you're building vintage, especially a pickup bed 1/2 ton gas station wrecker, I personally would go with the straight six.

The inline 6 from the AMT donor kit would be very accurate for a working truck from that time period, as many of those trucks were equipped with that engine in 1:1.  A smallblock V8 would also be ok. In either case, you would want to consider a different transmission, as the 3 speed found in both kits would be too light for tow truck duty. On the 1:1, the popular choice for that type of truck would be the SM420 4 speed. Unfortunately, the only scale version I know of for that transmission was the '68-'72 MPC Chevrolet truck kits. It should be easy to scratchbuild one, though.

The V6 mentioned was a GMC only engine is light trucks, and there is no scale version of it available.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevrolet-Trucks/1960-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf