Model Cars Magazine Forum

JoHan '72 Toronado; School Me

Hello and thanks for reading.

Picked up a JoHan '72 Olds Toronado rebuilder on ebay. It's going to need an engine, suspension parts and wheels. The hub caps are kit specific, that much I know. How much of this kit is interchangeable with earlier JoHan Toros and earlier/later Eldorados?

Thanks!

All the chassis and everything on the engines except the "CADILLAC" script valve covers is the same in all the JoHan kits from '66 to '72. 

The engines are all Oldsmobile. They just put the Caddy script on the Eldorado kit valve covers.

The inner fenders, firewall, rad wall and other underhood stuff is pretty well the same too, if not 100% carried over from the '66.

Here's my '72 I built over 10 years ago. I "took some libertys" with it.  But aside from the valve cover, air cleaner swap and scratch made panel in front of the radiator, it's all JoHan Toro under the hood.

119 1990

119 1992

119 2000

119 1997119 1995

Edited by Can-Con

All the chassis and everything on the engines except the "CADILLAC" script valve covers is the same in all the JoHan kits from '66 to '72. 

The engines are all Oldsmobile. They just put the Caddy script on the Eldorado kit valve covers.

The inner fenders, firewall, rad wall and other underhood stuff is pretty well the same too, if not 100% carried over from the '66.

Thanks for the info and the photos, Steve. I really appreciate them. The model is gorgeous. I like what you did with it!

• 2 weeks later...

The Eldorado and Toronado engines are completely different. The most obvious thing is the location of the distributor: In the front on the Cad, in the rear on the Olds. The Johan Eldorado kits have the Toronado engine from the Olds kits. Guess the were lazy. Pix attached.

eldorado engine.jpeg

eldorado under hood.jpg

toronado engine.jpg

Toronado under hood.jpg