Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Buick Skylark GS(Updated: 6-5-'17)

echoxrayniner

I don't really ever get around to making a OTW post cause I tend to blitz past the whole ordeal, but folks here inspired me to make a topic for a change and slow stuff down for a change. Anyhow!

20170702_173513.jpg

I got a '70 GSX kit from Monogram, and I built one of these before and absolutely loved it. But knowing there's a PE set for it and I kind of dig the more subdued look of a regular GS Stage 1 which still was largely the same option wise apparently with chin spoiler, rear wing and vented hood so I didn't have to scour the internet for a stock Skylark hood. Anyway, I coated the whole thing in a layer of black before going over it with bright blue metallic(both Motip automotive paint) so it has the nice dark undertone to it and then a couple of layers of good ol' German automotive 2K clear-coat, cause unfortunately around where I live it is still twice as cheap getting 400ml(13.5oz) cans of professional automotive paints than it is to get a single 100ml can of Tamiya TS.

Cut open the hood vents already and currently in the process of ripping the grille out to replace it with the PE, though it seems the grille inlay is too big for the thing... Ah well, little hurdles.

Edited by echoxrayniner

So I finished up the body for the most part, added some extra badges that weren't part of the actual GS back then like adding a Skylark emblem to the GS Stage 1 emblem on the tail and the 455 badge over the sidemarker lights, I always loved it on Camaros and Cutlasses so why not here, 'twas part of the PE parts anyhow. Speaking of which, dug out the hood vents and opened the grille and replaced them with the PE bits and, while the grille now sits far too deep cause the PE grille is too big on every side for the actual grille opening, I figured the hell with it and just... stuck with it.

20170705_165735.jpg

20170705_165720.jpg

I painted all the sprues so far so I'm now contemplating whether or not to wire up the whole thing and add the hoses, ignition wires, throttle and such or just leave it for what it is. But at least, on a superficial level on the outside - it's gonna look the best there I reckon, got Firestone Wide Oval tire letters at the ready and trying to upgrade the tail end's detail and bringing out the tail lights and Buick emblem some more.

I gotta admit, it helps that I built the GSX version ages ago and knowing exactly where it can go wrong, with for instance the tires sitting too deep inwards or the axles being very prone to bending while you gotta snap the backings onto 'em, that sort of stuff. But for now, I'll get to deciding whether the 455 V8 gets the whole detail package.