Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you....

Hi Jeremy

That's a good question. I really don't know the technique to do this intentionally but it seems after I build one and put it on a shelf, except for flat tires mine look like they came out of a barn. Finger prints, dust, sanding dust etc on the windows and body. Except for the flat tires, they look pretty rough. One of these days I am going to make one that looks like a barn find and see if it is any different than what I usually build.:huh:

Richard

If you want "dusty" windows and have an airbrush, put a drop or two of a flat tan into some thinned Testor Dullcote and dust it on till you get the effect you want. While you're at it, you might as well "dust" the whole exterior of the car, not just the windows. Put more on the horizontal surfaces, less on the sides.

The same mix is good for weathering the underside of a fairly clean but street-driven car, too.

Jeremy....  I use spray can dull coat sprayed from the top down on the areas that face up only for a aged look.  Flat tires can be made using a lighter on the area you want flat and once hot enough apply pressure down on it to the desired look and hold till cool..( be careful not to burn your hands or anything else).  If you want I can send you some photos of one i did as a junkyard relic...just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

What I have done, mostly on the under carriage, is to hold the object being painted at arms length and lightly spray some flat black or another dark color. This gives a very light coverage and a somewhat rough finish.