Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R "Hakosuka"

shucky

Hello everyone! It is hard to believe that I haven't updated this post in 2 years! As I have many projects going on at the same time, I alternate any time I get burned out from one to another. Anyways, much work has been put in to the Skyline so I thought I should keep this thread alive and update it. 

While I played around with wheel choices for a very long time (still do), it delayed moving forward with the front suspension until I narrowed down my choices. Basically, I had to move the front shocks inward about 4-5mm on the top and about 2-3mm on the lower in order for me to get the look I wanted. Typically those that lower this kit considerably have massive camber issues because they do not alter the shock mounting points and suspension geometry. I wanted a low down look with mild camber while keeping it realistic. I also still wanted to keep the ability to turn the wheels left or right. So lots of scratch building was in store ...

These are the final version of the shocks and springs with mounting points moved inwards ...

IMG_4105.JPG

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG

I also wanted to customize the Skyline a bit, and seeing as how I just picked up the Aoshima "Charasuka Works" kit, I thought I'd make some resin copies of the slanted single headlights, headlight covers, and front lip and then fit them to the Tamiya kit. I also really liked the oil cooler from the Tamiya kit and wanted to make copies of that too. Lastly, I made a new fan for the S20 since I do agree the kit piece is too chunky!

IMG_5147 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5146 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5206 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5212 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5213 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5215 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5193 (Copy).JPG

Hello again, here are some mock up's with my favorite wheels choices (still subject to change - lol). The "Bilbo's" are resin cast in color and the Work Meister CR01 are from DiOlex Production. 

IMG_5297 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5298 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5295 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5302 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5305 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5306 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5299 (Copy).JPG

Edited by shucky

19 hours ago, shucky said:

I also really like the look of the large single tail lights on more modified Hako's ... so out came the files again ...

One popular mod was to use the one piece 1968-69 tail lights in place of the dual tail lights of the post 1970 Skyline.

http://showa.blog.shinobi.jp/車両メンテナンス 大将商会/ハコスカ 前期45テールに変更!

So, while I decide on a color for this build, I shift the focus to the interior. I wanted something more purpose built with some look of a stripped out interior. Since I have a spare Tamiya kit in case I dont like the result, I decided to tackle making it appear as if the interior panels have been removed. 

First step was removing the kit door panel and trim piece details. I made a template on styrene of the basic shapes I wanted based on some photos I found online. After carefully fitting, I test fit into the body and realized the door panel seem does not align with the door opening on the body. Its about 3-4mm off. This is an older Tamiya kit so I give them a pass on this one lol. I had to rescribe the panel line on the interior side to align with that of the body. Got the door frame in primer and test fit again. 

IMG_5340 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5343 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5344 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5347 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5351 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5357 (Copy).JPG

So far I like the result. I do not want to make all the same pieces for the left side by hand, so I cleaned up all of the styrene pieces and put them in rubber for resin casting. These will likely be the thinnest and most delicate resin pieces I've made so far. Should be able to pour resin this evening or tomorrow morning. Should the resin be a success, I can then proceed to trim the other side door panel to fit the pieces and begin working on removing the rear seat cushions. 

IMG_5364 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5361 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5362 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5363 (Copy).JPG

• 1 month later...

So I moved on to the rear deck. Using some reference photos, I created a new styrene piece for the rear deck. Also, since the back seat will be removed I need to create the framing and structural pieces found from reference photos. The gas tank will be visible through this area as well, so lots of work to do. To ensure the rear deck stays in exactly the same position as intended I left it attached to the rear seat structure until I made mounting tabs for it. The rear seat will entirely be removed at the last moment after ensuring the deck is properly aligned. 

IMG_5417 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5392 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5393 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5403 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5404 (Copy).JPG

IMG_5409 (Copy).JPG