Model Cars Magazine Forum

Info on Monogram/Revell 69 Ford Talladega

I would like to start one I stripped the paint off 18 years ago..Is there anything I should be on the look for? like trouble areas??Does the chassis fit in nice and snug and not show on the sides, does the back panel/valence to be painted semi gloss black or body color..Any little quirks would be nice to know..I don't like doing wipers(which this doesn't have) but has separate door handles..I know its a fairly simple straight forward kit but I've been away from building for 81 yrs and don't want something too involved..I want to do a clean glue free type job..I want it to look good..Although I don't do wires and plumbing (due to stroke in '98, dexterity and patience is not there) I want it to be clean and show well with no smudges of glue..Any tips would be appreciated...Thanks...

Wow, you've been away for 81 years !  I'm 73 so you make me feel like a kid again, welcome back. I haven't touched the '69 Talladega kit in years but I think some of the basics of test fitting everything before painting or permanently attaching everything  would be a good idea. I'll use masking tape to hold things together to test fit chassis and interior into the body. Some builders prefer Elmer's glue and then soak in water to disassemble. I'm sure many others will post their ideas here today in an effort to help with their ideas. Try one or all and see what works best for you. Google is your friend  to find pictures of original cars to get some ideas of paint treatments. The consumer version of this car was done in several different paint treatments and some were dependent on what part of the country you were in. I used to live on the west coast and the Dan Gurny  model was the most seen. In the southern region they usually got the Cale Yarborough edition. The color on the rear tail light area on the Torino at that time depended on the trim level, some were body colored and some were a semi gloss Black color. Good luck with your build and please post it, I think we all would enjoy seeing it.   

IIRC this car/kit has an extension piece ahead of the core support, so you may have to stick the nose end of the "chassis" into the body first, then the rear end, or you won't be able to get them two together easily. Also, the Michelin TRX tires the original kit included looked super dinky, so maybe try out something a little beefier if you have it.

My mistake for saying been not building for 81 years..I'am hoping to live to be 81 and older if God be willing..I thought the tires looked too small..I have some from the Barracuda and Challenger that might do the trick as long as the rims fit..Casey I'll take your tip on installing the chassis front first..Espo I''am going to piece it together with masking tape first..Don't want the same problems I had with the Road Runner..Actually looking forward to this build..Haven't done a Ford in eons...