Model Cars Magazine Forum

My latest beater

Marc Weller

I got started building weathered street rods years ago after reading an article titled "Beaters" by Pryor Passorino in Plastic Fanatic. Since then I've been learning techniques from the military guys and applying them to my hot rod efforts. My latest will be based on the venerable Monogram '36 tool that has been around since I was a kid. I'll be using the Revell 2 in 1 "Car Show " version.

IMG_0017.thumb.jpg.cb3be1b105355044979ee3c18a7c7b29.jpg

IMG_0016.thumb.jpg.44abb273407ebe718e05211a703a66c9.jpg

Getting the proper stance is no more difficult than substituting a length of evergreen channel for the stock front crossmember. The rear is already perfect.

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.8bb751912b0944e7c7d54ae45e1cecf4.jpg

Floquil rust applied to the whitewalls provides a more realistic yellowed appearance.

I used the salt and hairspray technique to accomplish the rust spots. I used Testors enamels and Pantene hairspray. The body is first airbrushed with Testors rust, followed by and application of hairspray and a dusting of salt in the desired areas. There are a million Youtubes demonstrating this technique. Next comes a layer of flat white followed by the color which is a 50:50 mix of green and blue metal flake. Finally the salted areas are sanded with 400 grit. I will follow all of this with a layer of Testers Dullcoat.

IMG_0014.thumb.jpg.95abade6873d36cf2ef7217d70f63e0c.jpg

I've decided to go hoodless and will install a blown flathead. More to follow.

IMG_0012.jpg

Edited by Marc Weller
extra photo

• 2 years later...

Time to get back to this one. I found this stash of Predicta parts I scored at some swap meet 25 years ago, two complete Predictas minus bubble tops. I love the Predicta wheels and tires and I'll use them on future projects but the 1/24th scale Hemi is a perfect choice for my '36 and I'll use it now. I won't  need to mess with ignition wires since they are concealed on this particular Hemi variant, a major bonus.

IMG_0063.thumb.jpeg.02b337e17eafdecf541d484b1f5eaa69.jpeg

Already fabbed motor mounts. No idea why that old Monogram tool has a notch in the firewall. I'm gonna go with a permanently attached hood and open sides so I'm not going to bother fixing it. Gonna need to figure out a way to provide clearance for the fan/pulley assembly. Probably going to grind the boss off of the front of the motor and notch the crossmember. I want to keep the front end as low as possible so I need to keep the existing crossmember.

IMG_0062.thumb.jpeg.ae68c55ce739e421f5c7473735b1abbc.jpeg