Model Cars Magazine Forum

TROG true Gentleman's car

Eric Macleod

Now that the '34 Ford is done I am back on this project 100%. Last night I did some things that probably don't look like much but will pay dividends later on. I am working on wire wheels and I got the second body sanded out. Perhaps more importantly, I dug through the parts boxes and found a few important detail parts.Here is my progress, such as it is.

z dusy torpedo progress.jpg

Eric

Noticed the red Murphy Duesenberg in the background and assume it is the car Fred Duesenberg wrecked.  Where did your research note te cars color as it looks black in pictures?

I am still trying to learn how to post my Duesenberg builds.

thanks

duesie

2 hours ago, duesie said:

Eric

Noticed the red Murphy Duesenberg in the background and assume it is the car Fred Duesenberg wrecked.  Where did your research note te cars color as it looks black in pictures?

I am still trying to learn how to post my Duesenberg builds.

thanks

duesie

Larry, 

You are right on with the Murphy convertible coupe. I built that one about 18 years ago and would like to take a crack at again some time. I think my color choice was totally wrong. My guess now is the car was something very dark, black,  blue or a very green perhaps. Really i should tear it down and repaint it. Thus far other projects have prevented this course of action. I thought the car would look good in my Duesenberg speed shop. Thanks for noticing it.

Eric 

Here is the latest. I have both bodies pretty close to being done and now I am working up chassis. My fictional "back story" has been revised again. Our wealthy but uninformed hero took a model SJ Torpedo with cut down fenders to a TROG event. Prior to attending he had a Monel exhaust fitted and added a dual carburetor setup. He added some knock off hubs to be Budd wire wheels and he folded down the windshields. Brunn did a bit of work on the fenders and reshot the paint. They also fitted some custom step plates in lieu of running boards. He got in the car and went out to go racing. We now know the rules did not allow for formal racing of this car but man did it look cool. Next, he will get serious about some real Duesenberg speed.

xfender mockup.jpg

z fe nderless.jpg

I continue to plug along with this project, which actually is coming together very quickly (especially by my standards. I have both chassis pretty well ready for paint and have shifted my focus to some details. For the first car, there will be a simple painted radiator but I decided to go with a LeMans Bentley look for full race version. Candidly, I like it well enough that I might make a second for my first  car. Moving on, I also mocked up a set of wire wheels and have a photo of the transition from out of the box, to better tires, and finally with the Firestone narrow whitewalls (very similar to period correct Lee tires that were factory equipment on Franklins in the late 20's and early 30's).  

z j wheels.jpg

z j radiators.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Eric this was my thoughts for the NNl Last fall but like all my projects this is as far  as I got. 

20170929_235541.jpg

20170929_235607_001.jpg

I like this. In fact, I like it enough that I have built one myself. That was my first "good" model that was built in a manner that was not strait out of the box. I will try to track down a photo of it.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Eric this was my thoughts for the NNl Last fall but like all my projects this is as far  as I got. 

20170929_235541.jpg

20170929_235607_001.jpg

Here is what I did years ago. This was my first attempt at building an alternate body style out of a Monogram Duesenberg kit. It is clearly looking long in the tooth with shrunken putty and dull paint. Despite that, I have always liked this model simply because it was a real labor of love and was my first successful home-made modified Duesenberg.

zssj1.jpg

zssj2.jpg

And here is one more shot of the engine. The car is a model of Duesenberg J 567 (car 2595) commonly known as the Gable car (even though Clark Gable never actually owned it). At the time the model was built J 567 was owned by Al Ferrara of Gates Mills, OH. I always intended to build a model of the companion car owned by Gary Cooper. Someday I will. Instead I built a model of J 431 (car 2425) which was his Derham Tourister. This one was a bit of a bummer. I built the car as close as I thought I could get using black and white photos as reference material. I later saw the car in person at the Heritage Plantation Museum in Sandwich, Mass only to discover my colors were off. Such is the risk of using black and white reference photos! 

zSSJ567.jpg

Derham tourister.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Clarification

It is coming along. I am planning to get the interior wrapped up tonight and I hope to get some paint on everything else over the weekend. I am trying to sort out a color scheme. Duesenberg racing cars were often white (my least favorite color on a car...but I digress) with dark red or dark blue chassis. That might not be too bad on one of the cars. The other, perhaps I will be a bit more conservative. While I recognize it is unlikely that one car would have been repainted two times in three years, but this whole thing is fiction so I can have a bit of fun with the process. I have been sort of kicking around a darker color scheme. We'll see.

Here is a long overdue update on my project.  I have a color scheme pretty well worked out for both cars. For the actual TROG car, the chassis is in paint and I am beginning the detail painting. Typically, I would paint the engine and chassis separately but with this being a "pulled from the junk pile" project, the chassis and engine were already glued in place and I decided I would do more damage trying to split them for painting. So...they are forever wedded. I am now in the process of adding details to the chassis and engine which is my favorite part of any modeling project. Here is the progress so far. There is quite a lot more to do. For some reason I brain farted and painted the transmission silver even though it should be a maroon color, though candidly, for a project like this, authenticity is a non-issue anyway.

Comments are always welcome.

jchassismonnel.jpg

zjchassis1.jpg

1 hour ago, El Caballo said:

Jay Leno did a video lately about a Duesenberg hot rod with a '34 Ford roadster body, that engine sounded awesome.

They are awesome to listen to. Better yet, I am very fortunate to have driven quite a few Duesenbergs over the years. The best one was J 564, a Rollston Convertible Coupe which is the only Duesenberg JN that had a supercharger installed at the factory. With fewer than 16,000 original miles on the odometer, it was an absolute thrill to drive as it drove exactly like a factory new Duesenberg should. Thanks for the memory!

44 minutes ago, socal76 said:

Art, not to hijack Erik's thread, but if you want to get rid of that "what if" project to allow you much more time for your other "Duesy" let me know! That is sharp! Does it still have enough room for the kit engine?

Uh, both are on a fairly short list for completion.  Only the Mormon Meteor will get an  engine, which will be pirated from one of my several surplus Danbury Mint SSJ diecasts (in real life, the two SSJ's were built with the same 425hp SJ dual carburated and two-stage supercharged engines.   When I was casting, I also did the shorter wheelbase 142 1/2" chassis, so it will be built on one of those from my archives.

Art

No problem with the diversion. I believe all Duesenberg material is good Duesenberg materiial. I also plan to use pirated Danbury Mint intake manifolds on this project,  though for some reason mine only has one carb so some modifications will be necessary. No progress last night. I fear the flu bug may rear its ugly head at my house. 

I finally got back on this last night with mixed results. I have done some work on the interior and feel like I am making good progress. I have also fitted the induction mechanism (it slipped off in this photo and have started work on the dual carb supercharger. The body has its first coat of paint but it is too white and not ivory enough so I need to re-shoot it. So...some progress.

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z1.jpg

I have the first couple coats of paint on this one. I have a little more body work to do before the final coats of paint go on. While this looks pretty gray in the photo in actuality it is more of an antique white. I am also working on building up a dual carb supercharger. I will have photos of that up tomorrow.

zbody updates.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
clarification.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:46 AM, Art Anderson said:

Not a TROG car, but my WIP "What if there had been a 1941 Model J (or quite possibly an SJ) Duesenberg coupe with bodywork by Rollson?  May I present my phantom 1941 Duesenberg Touring Coupe'?

41Duesenberg3-vi.jpg

This coupe is very slick.A great design that looks like it came right out of a coach builder's salon.Please post more photos as you work on this one.

Here is the mockup of the other car...which obviously would be disqualified for TROG if it showed up there. Has anyone else discovered the Testor's Model Master "Deep Sea Blue?" That is the color of the car (which I failed to notice was a bit out of focus).  I am telling you, coming out of the gun it is absolutely stunning. The model needs another light sanding and a couple more coats of the blue but my initial reaction was "WOW, what a color." Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

zjmock.jpg