Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got an idea!! Theme build inspired by Rants!

OK, here it is! It's my first attempt at scratch building a frame. I found a built-up Mercedes Benz 300SL for a buck at the last club meeting and thought the engine would be cool for a hot rod. I also wanted to build a truckster and this is the perfect opportunity to combine them and do something a bit off the beaten path. I like a different route for many things and this fits perfectly! :lol:

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

I'm planning on FI and a prominent header. I'm just kicking around ideas with the body. I have a parts box to dig through yet , so expect change there. The Ala-Kart knock-off cab is cool but I want something even more "off-the-beaten-path". I may do some cutting and splicing..... We'll see what the parts pile holds!

So THAT is what you were using that for. I'm just sizing up my parts I got for that RSR I'm making! ;)

Sorry to hear that you are away from your workbench Virgil. That must frustrate you to no end huh? ;) Well, at least you can spend the time until mid August planning and going over the steps in your mind... huh? I know that I would be frustrated for sure!

"The Conservative Rat"!

Yes, that is what I have decided to call this. It will be a conservative looking and traditional built rod but with a cool vintage patina and some slight "Rock-a-Billy" rod influence. Because I personally like that trend because of it's unrestricted style!

UPDATE:

Stayed up late last night working on the Zoomie headers. Pulled the one header I made, featured in an MCM article, and created a second mirror image piece for the other side. Now the rod has some loud noise makers and a little added ATTITUDE! ^_^

P1010325-vi.jpg

Here I have linked to that article for making the Zoomie pipes now posted on this here forum so those of you who didn't get that issue can see how it was done.

Ciao!

:lol:

Jairus, I knew that chassis looked familiar. :o

I've been working on building a frame to match the stance I created by proping up tires next to a sedan body on blocks. (see earlier post)

Yesterday I found a suicide front end in a magazine I am going to try to replicate. :unsure:

I hope I can finish this thing in a timely manner, some of you guys build like the wind!

Oops, I'm a conservative. Can I use a suicide front end????

:P

Holy malangas, J!!! That's a great how-to, and a great way to take your own medicine in the build. Those zoomys are about the best I've ever seen, and they can't be any cheaper to build.

Gotta try that!

Thanks for shairing! That's what makes the forum world go around!

Thanks Virgil! :angry:

Spent an hour last night building up the rest of the floor for this rod. My research turned up nothing on what the floor should look like... so this is my interpretation. The depth of the embossed ribbing is too deep but will be mostly hidden by frame transmission, wiring and plumbing.

I also added some texture to the underside and firewall before priming so as to take the dirt and grime weathering to be added later.

P1010326-vi.jpg

:P

HEY!

Were are all the other builds that started this thread?

There should be some progress on at least two "Rice Rockets", a Corvair and two other Street Rods....? :angry:

Am I to be the only one to post his political beliefs through plastic come the end of the tread?

HEY!

Were are all the other builds that started this thread?

There should be some progress on at least two "Rice Rockets", a Corvair and two other Street Rods....? :angry:

Am I to be the only one to post his political beliefs through plastic come the end of the tread?

Oh god Jairus, god, I hate rice rockets or ricers. They make actual import guys look bad...REAL bad. :(

Well, what if we decided to do a non-competitive type build off. It has to be from 70-1980, from Japan, and in 1/24 or 1/25th scale.

Gee...this build-off has sure veered off track!

The other idea that was mentioned was the liberal vs conservative build-off. Good idea!

You're welcome! (It was my idea, after all...) :angry:

Here they are. Proof you are not alone Jairus. Get that plastic back out of the box now.

I have built a frame. I am working on finding a front axle I like. The wheel base will be dictated(political jargon) by the engine/radiator. I don't want it to get too long, but the fan needs room behind the radiator. Right leaning powerplant seen here.

patriotcoach002.jpg

I added some rake to the body. Working title "Patriot Coach"

patriotcoach001.jpg

Sorry the images are so large. It is getting late and I'm going to bed instead of fixing them.

Wasn't classic japanese or european cars the ORIGINAL idea? :P

It was the "suggestion" but I have YET to see a single Japanese or European build-up posted on this thread or any other with regard to the subject!

My addition to the "suggestion" was that everyone build whatever they wanted as long as the build represent the builders Political, Religious and left/right beliefs. Which leaves it open to whatever the builder feels most interested in.

Don't you think that this seems like a more broad idea Nick?

I like what I am seeing James... but I need to see other builds before I spend any more time cutting styrene.

(Back to the brass for now...) :P

ok J, sorry about not posting in awhile. i am still in and so are you! :blink:

besides being busy at work, i had a major change of design. originally, fire and brimstone (the car's handle) was going to be an underslung frame with a straight axle. after partially completing it, it was just too heavy looking and sort of had that old dirt track look. oh well, back to the drawing board.

as you can see, i decided on the dropped bell axle (finished it up this morning). it will be suspended suicide style with a corvette transverse leaf spring and split wish bones. the rear will use the same transverse setup.

DSC00591.jpg

i will try and have the front end hanging by next weekend. (did not know that this would be a speed build. ;) ) i still have to build the spindles, trailing arms, leaf spring and mounts and the steering linkage.

the belly pan/diffuser is done and i will try and get the interior/roll bar finished up shortly.

DSC00593.jpg

i will try and keep up with more posts for this build off.

you had better get that box opened back up jairus. :D

adios

Oh my god.......DALE!!!!!!!!!!

That is mental looking! Your makin me want to builkd something like this or like your '31! :lol:

Speaking of her.......

I'm still in too. I just had some personal life issues this weekend that kept me away from the bench.

I managed to start on the "equal length" header. I figured it was appropriate! :)

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

I gotta get back to this thing. I want to get more of this idea out, but I need to figure out the body. Don't worry, it isn't going to be something usual. :(:blink:

Hey guys, life has taken over lately. With school out, build time is in short supply! The green plastic turd also is very time consuming......

I didn't get the notice of the latest build changes, ie streetrods and more. I was still back on rats, and classic Japan! Anybody have a Revell 240Z front clip they want to donate or sell?

As for the rat, I'm not Jairus etc, and the grandious plans would require this to become a complicated build. So back to basics, even before seeing the cool minilite shod rod, I was thinking vintage racing. Back in the idyllic days of past where sportscar "specials" such as "old yellar" could give the big boys fits. The privateer didn't have to be a millionaire, and there was variety! Ingenuity, yes, good ole American ingenuity, ruled over wind tunnels, rocket scientist etc.

Yes, when there was personal responsibility, and not all the "me first" generation ###### had run down hill onto everyone below.

http://public.fotki.com/gregbbear/the-rat-race/ratrod1.html

Yes, my camera isn't up to the task. But, if anything is visible...

I made a tonoeau cover with black card stock, spare little windscreen from 427 Cobra, I have a 289, seat, shifter, and a couple of odds and ends from a glue bomb. The 289 is getting webers, and headers. I dechromed the kit wheels and painted them magnesium metalizer. The frame and firewall are Kustom Kolor base silver with their clear. That was from the stillborn first idea. Simple, and it pales in comparison, but it is me. Now back to making templates for carbon fiber on the benetton....

Later,

Greg