Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin casting?

Get a "starter" kit that includes small quantities of everything you need (mold material, resin) and start with a small part that can be done easily.  Read and follow the directions to the letter, and don't experiment until after you get decent results that way.  Sticking with a "system" from one company means you will get products that will work together as intended.  Some mold materials don't work with certain resins; there's a learning curve to finding those things out.  

As far as the "best" products, you'll have to find what works best for you.  I've used a number of brands over the last 35 years.  A couple of them, I've never gotten good results or usable parts with.  Those companies are still in business and selling materials, and others swear by them and get excellent results.  So I probably wasn't doing something right when I tried them.  What works for you may not be what I like, and what I prefer might not work for the next guy.  Start small, expect to put in some time and effort before getting results, and you shouldn't come away disappointed.  Even if you decide not to continue with it, you'll get an appreciation for the work of others.

Mark's advice is excellent.

For a very good overview of the process...

https://www.freemansupply.com/video.htm

Over the years, part of my professional work has included model-making (in reduced and full scales) for product development, testing, and presentations. I've always had 100% good results with products from this company. They also have an extensive video library.

https://www.polytek.com/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy