Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future floor polish

Im wanting to use my airbrush to spray some future polish over a white laquer body, will it make the white look yellow over time? Im trying to find the clearest clear that I can find and not turn the white into cream after a year or so any suggestions or help will this delima will be a big help

Thanks Bud Ellis Kustoms

I've had problems in the past with Future yellowing on me. I think the new Future doesn't yellow, but I don't use it that much. The stuff I use is called Floquil Crystal-Coat part #F110004. It's a railroad paint. I mainly use it for clearing over decals. Here's a photo of a car that is 5 years old, been in direct sunlight and hasn't yellowed. I have other cars that are much older and they have not yellowed as well.

IMG_1248.jpg

Guest Davkin

I have a white model I cleared with Future several years ago, no yellowing. I can't recommend Future as a clearcoat though, I've never been able to get it to polish out like I can with most clearcoats, it leaves a fine texture I just can't seem to get rid of.

David

I have a white model I cleared with Future several years ago, no yellowing. I can't recommend Future as a clearcoat though, I've never been able to get it to polish out like I can with most clearcoats, it leaves a fine texture I just can't seem to get rid of.

David

Yeah, I found the whole trick because I haven't been able to polish it real well either is.

Several coats. building up more and heavier coats with each session. The final coat should go on glossy clear and just don't do anything else to it. I dry sand with micro mess as needed between.

I get that texture too, for the first couple of coats, or if I spray it too dry. I just keep going back and working it till I am happy with it.

Guest Davkin
Several coats. building up more and heavier coats with each session. The final coat should go on glossy clear and just don't do anything else to it. I dry sand with micro mess as needed between.

Sounds like a lot of work for a clear that's supposed to be easy. ;) I did do several coats, however I didn't spray it. It was always a splattering mess when I tried to spray, just too darned thin. I used a very soft, wide brush to apply it. For the same reason using it on clear parts never works for me either, always leaves that dang texture. I think you're better off just polishing your plastic windows.

My vote for "Best Clear on the Market" goes to the new Testors One-Coat Clear

I agree. Tamiya is good stuff but Testors has it beat with their new MML Ultra Glosscote. I don't even have to wet sand it, I just use rubbing compound and hand glaze on it and it shines up as good as anything I've ever seen, even urethane.

David

Everyone has nice things to say about the new testors clear but I have had no luck with it. It sprayed great looked glass smooth when i was done spraying but when I came back a few hours later it had so much orange peal on it and it wasn"t very glossy. Ill have to try it again and see if i got a bad can or something..

Guest Davkin

I didn't mean to imply that it dries glass smooth, it doesn't. I did mention that I using rubbing compound on it, but that's all it takes, no wet sanding.

David

Everyone has nice things to say about the new testors clear but I have had no luck with it. It sprayed great looked glass smooth when i was done spraying but when I came back a few hours later it had so much orange peal on it and it wasn"t very glossy. Ill have to try it again and see if i got a bad can or something..

I have found the same thing going the other way. I used automotive touch-up lacquer clear over new Testors one coat, and wound up with the same deal. Lots of orange peel. Tamiya clear works well over it, however.

Years of experience with Future leads me to agree with the opinion that it is an excellent product but not for use as a gloss clear final coat over paint. Let's also not forget that being an ultraglossy clear was not the purpose an acrylic floor shine product was made for.

Tamiya's clears, both bottled and spray, are definitely best of breed. However, I have used a product called Humbrol Super Clear for years now also. It is a thin, non-yellowing clear coat product safe for use over enamels. They also make a Satin and Matt (flat) version of the clear coat that I have used for years as well. The only sources I have experience with of Humbrol's finishing products (not the paints) is Squadron Mail Order in the USA or Hannants in the UK. If anyone else knows of a source for these products, please do post them.

Edited by larrygre

Im wanting to use my airbrush to spray some future polish over a white laquer body, will it make the white look yellow over time? Im trying to find the clearest clear that I can find and not turn the white into cream after a year or so any suggestions or help will this delima will be a big help

Thanks Bud Ellis Kustoms

hey man i recentlly went into my local hobby shop and asked the man who owns it what was his prices on clearcoat,he told me i could buy the expensive clearcoat or i could use future floor polish he said it won"t turn yellow and last a whole lot longer than clearcoat, and alot cheaper,he told me to mix 2 parts future and 1 part 90%alcohol and always clean up afterwards,anyway i have sprayed all my models and they look great,so good luck man let me know how they turn out

I always love Future as a topic. I apply it after the car's been cleared with the real stuff. I use this...

IMG_5371.jpg

I use Duplicolor clear (enamel in a spray can) and it works great. Polish out the enamel first, get it as pretty as you can and then apply 1 coat of Future using a brush. I've airbrushed Future on this car...

2d931ca7.jpg

and I wouldn't say it was great. It made the white/yellow/orange turn into one colour, that's for sure! (I use Creatix AutoAir colors) I've also found that certain enamels react badly with the Future. I think I used high heat enamel on one car and after applying the Future it all started to get major spider webs across the entire body. Nuts! A little Windex and some hard scrubbing and it came off. So it is a good idea to be careful what you're applying it over. Lacquer probably isn't an issue.

So, anyway, I was gonna show an example of what Future does. This car started out looking pretty good. Not great, but good. I decided I'd try polishing it as it's from my pre polishing kit days. It didn't look too bad after polishing, better than before, but then I got to thinking. What would Future do? I'd tried it on a few other new builds, so I brushed one coat on this too and wow what a difference it makes! I think the pics speak for themselves.

this is before

21.jpg

227.jpg

During...

228.jpg

23.jpg

27.jpg

And after...(fender has Future, door just polished)

212.jpg

217.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

I hope that helps a little. I was told by another builder to try an industrial floor polish. He uses it as his only clear and it looks from what I've seen of his builds to be excellent stuff. Can't remember the name of it though. In any case, Future is probably best used as a clear over a real clear. That's my 2 cents anyway.