Model Cars Magazine Forum

help with 70's to early 80's ford or chevy pickup

i am currently looking to build a mid to late 70's or early 80's ford or chevy pickup. However, i am looking to find one that will not be terribly difficult to build because of bad fitting or poorly made kits.

i currently have the following kits, but i am having/finding issues with each of these kits. 

this kit has the bed in multiple pieces with not much in the way of guides, and i cant get it to lay flat. the ford version of this has a similar issue

dafb102f6e85c30429fedf0ef8affbb0.jpg

then i tried the mpc deserter kit and the both the front and rear leaf springs are really warped and i am having trouble getting it to line up 

deserterbox.jpg

then i tried the moebius model ford ranger and model king f100 kits but the hoods and other pieces are really warped.

IMG_3970b.JPG

is there any others that are good quality that wont have warping or poor fitting pieces? i am currently trying to fix the moebius and the mpc deserter kits, but i am really not very skilled with fixing them and i always end up making it worse. i keep trying, but i havent had great success yet.

any ideas on kits to try would be greatly appreciated, and i will continue to try to build each of these still because i really would like to have have a nicely finished model of these

Edited by youpey

That Deserter kit goes together pretty well, leaf springs notwithstanding. If they cannot be heated /warmed and twisted back into shape, building a new set is as easy as cutting strips of styrene and stacking them to replicate the kits pieces.

The other kits do have their issues. With that Monogram step-side, try using good old white glue (Elmers) and test fit and glue it together to make sure it fits and sits right.