Model Cars Magazine Forum

25 Oldsmobile Roadster

alan barton

Great build!  A few months ago Hemmings Classic Car covered Oldsmobile's 2-seat factory-built hot rod, the 1912 Autocrat.  A lot earlier than your roadster, but it might inspire somebody to do something with an MPC Stutz Bearcat and the Hillbillies kit.  Hmmm...

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2018/01/Autocracy-of-the-Avenues---1912-Oldsmobile-Autocrat-Roadster/3751379.html

autoc.jpg

I took most of these photos a while ago so after this post I will switch across to Under Glass for the final project.  By the way, I found Googled a photo of the original Barris Mail Truck and the 1:1 Woodlites looked exactly like the photo in Mr NNL's post.  Looks like MPC wasn't too fussy back in the day.  Not sure what they measured because they sure look different to the real thing!

While on a recent trip to the USA I visited Hobby Lobby and picked up a bunch of colours of embossing powder. I read it about it here for ages so here is my first attempt.  For flock or powder, I am a big fan of a thick wet coat of gloss enamel to sprinkle onto, rather than glues or adhesives.  You can usually shake it off straight away and it seems to hold better in the future.

I also added some very basic plug leads to the little four banger.  They're a bit fat but I liked the colour of the insulation so went with it.

IMG_7820.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

On 4/12/2018 at 5:19 AM, alan barton said:

So here we are at first mockup stage.  So far so good - it has the low slung stance I was aiming for and the body is looking fairly factory like - I have no idea what an Olds roadster really looks like but, hey, it's a hot rod - it can be any shape it wants to be!

IMG_7630.JPG

From what I have read, there were a lot of coach building companies back then and they would build anything you wanted from the cowl back. So who's to say that somebody back then DIDN'T have a sportster body made for their merry Olds!

I'd suggest going with the bugeye headlights and keep the period theme going. Also suggest no metallic paint - keep the colors somber and dark. Fancy vibrant paints weren't available until after WW2.

I appreciate your thoughts Patrick.  I'd had the colour in the Testor's one shot lacquer range for a few years and it really spoke to me for this model.  By the same token, a more subdued colour with the round headlights could work as well. If I find another Beverley Hillbillies truck I will be grabbing it because there are so many possibilities.

Cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...