Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rereleased Chevy Impala SS

Ben

50 minutes ago, Agent G said:

You won't need that much from the '91 for the '94. Eliminate the spoiler mounting depression and the Impala SS emblems. If LASD had bucket seas, just sand off the SS from the kit's buckets. 

I've seen both setups , although the majority were bench-equipped . Oddly (or not) , CHP-spec Caprices had cloth front seat / carpet , and vinyl rear seat / rubber mat . The trick in replicating the LASD interior is replicating the "  SPEEDS OVER 60 MPH : USE OVERDRIVE "   sticker on the instrument bezel that was placed-under the speedometre ! Hahaha .

50 minutes ago, Agent G said:

You can take the interior and engine from the '91 and combine it with the SS body for a '93 as well. 

I've driven nearly every year of this car in one form or another.

G

By 1995-1996 , the Caprice was at its peak , especially in 9C1 trim ... then , yeah , front-wheel-drive nonsense ... blah , blah , blah ...

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

This is why I'm fine with just putting a photo of the completed model on the box.  If the manufacturers really want to put some money into the kit, put it into the stuff that goes in the box

When I think of what a completed model on the box looks like, it reminds me of the atrocious AMT box art around the late 90's to early 2000's. Remember the "Millennium Series"? Bland. Real bland. Good box art sells.

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I've seen both setups , although the majority were bench-equipped . Oddly (or not) , CHP-spec Caprices had cloth front seat / carpet , and vinyl rear seat / rubber mat . The trick in replicating the LASD interior is replicating the "  SPEEDS OVER 60 MPH : USE OVERDRIVE "   sticker on the instrument bezel that was placed-under the speedometre ! Hahaha .

By 1995-1996 , the Caprice was at its peak , especially in 9C1 trim ... then , yeah , front-wheel-drive nonsense ... blah , blah , blah ...

My '93 had a 60/40 split bench, the '94 and '95 had buckets. The few marked '91's I drove, I was a detective then, had 60/40 benches. The '93 had carpet, a fabric front seat, power windows and door locks. Quite uncommon for a radio car in that era. Curiously the '93 had a dark blue interior, the '94's and '95's had a light blue/gray interior. I had a '96 for a short period that had a red interior. Quite remarkable for a cop car.  

G

14 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

When I think of what a completed model on the box looks like, it reminds me of the atrocious AMT box art around the late 90's to early 2000's. Remember the "Millennium Series"? Bland. Real bland. Good box art sells.

I know it does, and I'm all too familiar with the questionable lumps of plastic that have been sold because of a fancy box.  As a consumer, I want to know what I'm getting into.

I'm not buying a box, I'm buying a model kit. 

Edited by Richard Bartrop

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I had a '95 9c1. The decal on mine said "Warning: use overdrive durring high speed pursuit." There was another one that said "Caution: close all windows at speeds of 140mph or above." I miss that car.