Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Camaro SS

Toast

Was shopping for kits with the niece and nephew. I told them to find a car they think would be cool to drive in real life and then we could build their model how they would if they owned the real thing. My mom points to the Camaro and says, "That's the one I would drive."

Well me being me, when someone tells me about a nice car I always have to ask, "Yeah, but what color?"

And that is how my next project came to be!  I just missed her birthday so it'll be a belated gift.

Using AMT's snap version of the car to build up quick. It is a very nice kit. Good looking body and stance, with plenty of detail in the chassis and interior to pick out with a brush.

Started with hot rod grey primer.

CamaroSS-01.jpg.802f99a1738d3fde5de91788a4580dd0.jpg

Then a base coat of Testors One Coat "Graphite Dust".

CamaroSS-02.jpg.26a802ff13469f3e456ba58bf841058b.jpg

CamaroSS-03.jpg.129c42112f2fc872e8954204604190f1.jpg

Interior with be a Black/Grey combo. Wheels are soaking in whitewall bleach. They will be dark as well. I'm not often a fan of black wheels but I think with this color they have to be darker.

More to come soon!

I just finished one of these last month so can give you some advice. This kit has the tightest tolerances of any model I've ever built. Some of the parts will snap into place with a little effort but others will require trimming their holes and/or mounting pegs. And I did mine unpainted; yours might be even worse with paint on it. The windows were the worst. They're designed to snap in and fit flush but it took me three evenings to finally hit the right combination to finagle them in. Be sure to paint the bottom edge of the side windows black or it will "fiber optic" a white line along the lower edge of the window. I didn't do this but I sure ain't taking that thing out again to do it--I was lucky to get it in ONCE.

BTW, last week at Hobby Lobby I bought a Maisto diecast "kit" of a 2016 or 2017 Camaro with a nice smooth metallic gray paint job a little darker than yours. I'm looking forward to building it and putting it on the shelf next to my AMT and Revell 2016 and 2013 Camaros.