Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford F100 and Trailer

Clay

Thr Avanti looks great on the trailer Clay!

As for wheels and tires, My personal choice would be a set of salt discs to fit the theme. I haven't heard of "Parts by Parks" lately, but his moon discs are the deal! For tires, maybe some of the relatively tall Monogram "GT Radials" (plain sidewalls on most of them) which were in most of their kits in the 80s and 90s. They would fill the wheelwells without being so wide you would need to tub the thing.

And that brings me to the rear fenders...Since you seem to like the custom effect of the Chevy rear fenders, If you have no plans for the stock fenders, I have a Ford Off road truck which they would be appropriate on. Maybe I have some of those tires...

The rear bumper would best be the drilled one, with a trailer hitch added. A wood push bar on the front made from a popsicle stick, with some weathering...would be my suggestion. Most lakes cars are geared so tall they need a push to get them rolling.

Richard

Clay,

First, that Avanti looks GREAT sitting on that red trailer!!

On to the business at hand; if the roll pan will work with the trailer hitch, that's the way I'd go. It fits better with the other custom parts you're using.

For the wheels; unless you're going to tub the bed, you won't find too many wheels that'll fill those big openings and not be too wide. If you want, I'll send you a set of these:

DSC05353-vi.jpg

DSC05355-vi.jpg

All four tires and wheels are the same size. The wheels measure out at about 23". With the tires mounted, they're as tall as the 23" Pegasus Chrome T's that I'm using on my truck, but they're only 0.350" wide. They fit up under the rear fenders without tubbing the bed. They also come with disc brakes for all four wheels. Let me know if you want them and I'll drop them in the mail.

Yes, you'll have to to tub the bed to get the Pegasus 23" Chrome T's to fit...unless you narrow them...

Later,

I actually have a set of those wheels and tires. They came with Boyd Coddington's Corvette. Now how did you get those to stay there, or how would you get them to stay there.

Thanks for the information though. I will try these and see how they do.

Thanks for the reminder about the hitch, I dont think it would work for the rolling rear pan.

makes me wanna put mine back on the bench :unsure:

IMG_1281.jpg

use the stock fenders..... put those cool ones on a 55-65 chevy :D

Or you could sent it to me :lol:

Edited by jones_clayton

Thr Avanti looks great on the trailer Clay!

As for wheels and tires, My personal choice would be a set of salt discs to fit the theme. I haven't heard of "Parts by Parks" lately, but his moon discs are the deal! For tires, maybe some of the relatively tall Monogram "GT Radials" (plain sidewalls on most of them) which were in most of their kits in the 80s and 90s. They would fill the wheelwells without being so wide you would need to tub the thing.

And that brings me to the rear fenders...Since you seem to like the custom effect of the Chevy rear fenders, If you have no plans for the stock fenders, I have a Ford Off road truck which they would be appropriate on. Maybe I have some of those tires...

The rear bumper would best be the drilled one, with a trailer hitch added. A wood push bar on the front made from a popsicle stick, with some weathering...would be my suggestion. Most lakes cars are geared so tall they need a push to get them rolling.

Richard

Thanks!! I forgot about the trucks pushing the car. I have a grille gaurd from an old Chevy truck I could use. You wouldnt happen to have those moon discs would you? If not I can still send you those fenders, and the stock bumpers if you want them.

Ok I did some work on the F100, not much though, got to wait on paint. Sinc I am not using the original engine in it, the driveshaft is too long. So you have a few choices, put the tranny from the kits engine on the engine you're using, find a different driveshaft, or make your own. And thats what I did!!!! Here's how Raul taught me how to do it.

First thing first, you need to get the engine where you want it and measure, or eyeball the length you need.

Cut the ends off the original d/s be sure to leavwe enough to stick in the ends of the tube.

Hauler036.jpg

Hauler037.jpg

you may need to trim the ends to get them to fit.

Hauler038.jpg

Hauler039.jpg

Do a test fit to make sure it fits.

Hauler042.jpg

Hauler040.jpg

Hauler041.jpg

Then glue it and paint it the color you want then glue it in place if you are at that step.

Hauler043.jpg

Comments welcome.

Later,

Looks right, Clay!!

Actually, I thought that you needed a longer driveshaft, not a shorter one, or I would have advised you to cut the existing one to the length you need and pin it back together with a piece of brass rod. Either way, it looks good!!

The side benefit of using the aluminum tubing, as you've seen, is that you also get a perfectly round driveshaft, unlike the one in the kit.

Keep up the good work and the posts!!

Later,

Oh yeah!! That old salt lickin' Avanti is going to look really good sitting on that matching trailer!! It "almost" makes me want to build another one, (but with all of the kits that I already have waiting for me to get to, probably not)!! :D

Keep up the good work. I can hardly wait to see the Avanti on its trailer behind the matching hauler!!

Later,

Ok, just thought I would post some updates, sorry no pictures.

I got the cab painted, not too happy with it but it will have to do for now, I need to save some of the paint for other things. I will get everything cleared tonight hopefully and get the trailer done. I still need to finish up the chassis. contenplating on putting the whole chassis from a lightning kit under it but I dont know yet. I would still love to get one of those resin Studebaker trucks off of eBay to tow it but, hey cant always get what you want. Anyway, I will post pics tomorrow evening.

Take Care,

Thanks Raul. i need to redo the hood hinge, it didnt like being taken apart to be painted. But, there is a good side, I can make the hinge longer like I wanted to do originally. Hopefully that will happen tonight or over the weekend.

;) It's lookin pretty good Clay. If you hadn't mentioned that the cab was primed an the bed wasn't, I wouldn't have noticed it. Isn't a whole lotta difference in the shades there. I do like the wheels too. Where'd ya get 8 of em?I mean you are runnin em on the truck too aintcha?Either way, it's lookin good kiddo!!! Great build! ;););)

;) It's lookin pretty good Clay. If you hadn't mentioned that the cab was primed an the bed wasn't, I wouldn't have noticed it. Isn't a whole lotta difference in the shades there. I do like the wheels too. Where'd ya get 8 of em?I mean you are runnin em on the truck too aintcha?Either way, it's lookin good kiddo!!! Great build! ;););)

I had one set, Raul sent me another with his care packages that he sends me every so often. Yeah I am gonna put on them both