Model Cars Magazine Forum

Milner MAG dragster

New project on the bench...AG dragster. The body shell’s been painted for a while, and now I’m starting it. I’v been researching the car including some great builds done here. I realize now I should have shaved off the top part of the body so it could be one piece when the decal was applied, so unfortunately I’ll have a visible seam. I’ll probably fill the gap with epoxy and run a thin bead of paint over it, but that’ll be at the end.It looks like  I can pirate some good engine pieces from the jr 22 dragster combo. Here’s a pic of the body mocked up on the chassis that’s painted with the slicks on I think I may have a thinner set of slicks and mags, as was on his. As I was writing this I did find thinner slicks/mags so I added that pic as well. Thanks for looking.

4612FFBF-F3FF-4F77-ABF7-70D44D581BEF.jpeg

93504A95-17E1-4434-8BE7-024424A8AEF3.jpeg

07CEEBC1-8B0B-41B0-A17A-6B49DDE2685E.jpeg

845D5FF6-87E6-4030-80BF-9D33C147881E.jpeg

43 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Wow,Ive never seen this kit.I guess it's pretty rare.

It is based on the MPC Ramchargers kit with a few changes, that being mainly the swoopy chutepack body and some small engine parts to fake a Small Block Chevy. 

The other variation is the Jawbreaker with a coupe body, but no Swoopy Tail body. The MAG box makes it a pretty hot kit to find. 

Here is my version I built a few years ago

20130531_172110_zps14480db0.jpg

4 hours ago, dragmodels44 said:

Jesse,yours is the one I’m following! I found the posting and have been studying your pics! I already have the Jimmy Flintsone’s resin driver figure! There’s also another one done on here that looked good!

Very cool! Let me know if you ave any questions! Hope my build helps 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, just wanted to post some updates on the MAG dragster. I got the suspension done and its on wheels. I assembled the shot block from the parts pack 283 and inserted the plug wire boots along with modifying the moroso valve covers to fit. The pic also shows the headers and the pre wired distributor. So, its moving along...

E25F4F3E-DE40-413D-8069-8CEA5A9FEF88.jpeg

C38F8F78-9501-49F4-848E-5450DB1F5792.jpeg

84531639-C494-4831-A472-99FD556E9A47.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Not to talk down the model being built, but , and I'm sure some of you see this, the engine components used on the movie car don't really reflect a SBC as would be seen in 1964-5. Back then, such things as breather vent hoses and starter drive cages on the blower pulley weren't de-riguer ( did I spell that phrase right?)  Aluminum heads? Magnesium blower case? How about those Moroso tin valve covers and the yellow silicone plug wires? Then again, the Enderle "hat" would more likely have had the two "showerhead" style nozzles going in the left side back then, rather than the stainless hard line kit  used on the movie car. I really should go look up when these manufacturers' components made it into everyday service.

Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, if for nothing else than the Milner/dragstrip scenes ( They could have made an entire movie around John Milner and his struggles to best the big money teams like the Hunt Bros) and I dig the modeling being done to replicate the movie car.  Sometimes I wish the studios would hire someone with  more knowledge of the technical stuff. 

P.S., I just Googled Moroso…..that company didn't start until 1968, so there's that movie mistake. I think "Daddyfink's" ( here on the site) version looks more era correct than the real car used in the movie!  

Edited by spike morelli
additional comment

8 hours ago, spike morelli said:

Not to talk down the model being built, but , and I'm sure some of you see this, the engine components used on the movie car don't really reflect a SBC as would be seen in 1964-5. Back then, such things as breather vent hoses and starter drive cages on the blower pulley weren't de-riguer ( did I spell that phrase right?)  Aluminum heads? Magnesium blower case? How about those Moroso tin valve covers and the yellow silicone plug wires? Then again, the Enderle "hat" would more likely have had the two "showerhead" style nozzles going in the left side back then, rather than the stainless hard line kit  used on the movie car. I really should go look up when these manufacturers' components made it into everyday service.

Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, if for nothing else than the Milner/dragstrip scenes ( They could have made an entire movie around John Milner and his struggles to best the big money teams like the Hunt Bros) and I dig the modeling being done to replicate the movie car.  Sometimes I wish the studios would hire someone with  more knowledge of the technical stuff. 

P.S., I just Googled Moroso…..that company didn't start until 1968, so there's that movie mistake. I think "Daddyfink's" ( here on the site) version looks more era correct than the real car used in the movie!  

Well, this movie was not exactly a History Of Drag Racing epic and it was done on a very small budget, and so was American Graffitti, and I think Dave Uyehara did a great job assembling some cars that resembled the time frame of the movie. 

All they needed was a car that actually moved, not a perfect, period correct restoration. This was a mule, it had to start on demand, run on demand and crash on demand. And one must also remember that the Nostalgia movement was barely going by a few die hard folks. They ran what was available and made it as reliable as possible. Only those in the know figured out that it was not exactly correct, but to the average movie goer, it was an old car that he raced. 

My build is not faithful to the movie car as I decided to slightly correct my build as I saw fit and took a few liberties with it. This build is more faithful to the movie car and that is fine.