Model Cars Magazine Forum

I saw the most amazing woman,,,,,

No, there aren't any photos of some shockingly gorgeous model. A different kind of amazing woman.

I was at the VA clinic yesterday. While sitting in the waiting area a family came in. The veteran was an approximately 75 year old man who was confined to a wheel chair. He was a large man and from the looks of things he seemed to suffer from maladies of the feet and lower legs that would be consistent with diabetes problems. He was being pushed by a woman between 70 and 75 years of age that I fully suspect was his wife. 

Then there was the third member if the family. He was at least in his thirties and more likely just into his forties. He was holding his mother's arm as they came in and she guided him to a chair and sat him down with a quiet command to stay there. He was obviously the couples' adult son and was mentally handicapped. 

What really stuck with me about this whole thing was the woman's appearance, expressions, and general demeanor. She wasn't angry, upset, annoyed, exhausted, or even tired. As she checked her husband in for his appointment her voice was crisp and clear and very pleasant and upbeat. I couldn't help but wonder how long things had been this way for her. She had obviously cared for her son for however old he was and had cared for son AND husband since the diabetes had claimed him. She very obviously knows she will have the same situation for the remainder of her husband's life, and possibly her life, or maybe even more difficult.

So, the thought I had was, "How does she do it? What kind of woman does it take to deal with the situation she has and still remain as positive and upbeat as she is?" Like I said, a most amazing woman.

Sorry if I blabbered along on this. It was just something that caught my attention and I thought I'd share.

I know one like that...outlived two of her own children (one aged 5), lost her husband when in her mid-forties, raised four kids then aged 6-17, beat cancer twice, was in three or four pretty nasty car wrecks (two of which could have killed her), several heart surgeries, and spent the last four or five years of her life dealing with the side effects of radiation treatment, and then memory loss.  Never felt sorry for herself or asked "why me".  Easily the toughest, most resilient person I have ever known.  And, had the most common sense though she only finished tenth grade.  My mom. 

BTW, those last few years involved massive effort on the part of the three remaining children (though even that didn't come close in terms of paying back)...

There are many people out there that are amazing and just deal with life's struggles and they thank God for what they do have. It's easy to complain, however that doesn't help much or really solve any of life's problems. Giving up is not the answer as life goes on.