Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ron Fellows' #87 Bull Hill Watlkins Glen car

Merkur XR4Ti

Here’s my latest and it’s another rare one: this is Rob Fellows' Bully Hill Vineyards car he ran for Nemecheck at Watkins Glen in ‘99. Ron finished 2nd in that race, which is the highest finish a road warrior has gotten at the top level. I tried to do a fade on this one and it came out OK. Slixx decals and Testors and Tamiya paint. Technically the fuel filler should be on the passenger side but life’s too short for me to put in that much work, 1f602.png?. Watkins Glen is my favorite race to watch.

bully1.jpg

bully 2.jpg

Excellent job. You know, for I don't know how long now, the road course cars nowadays are being fueled on the left side of the car. When I did my Tony Stewart road course winner, from a couple of years ago, I was going to put the filler on the right side, but when I looked at the reference pictures, I found out I didn't have to. That is at least at Sonoma they are on the left side.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Merkur XR4Ti said:

I decanted the paint for the blue and the yellow. White is Tamiya Pure White out of the spray can.

Just because I am a newb and you are a great builder I'm going to ask a question that you might think is stupid... Why didn't you decant the white too?  And what airbrush(es) do you use?

I didn't decant the white because 1) it was going to be my overall basecoat, so I didn't worry as much about coverage, and 2) for the white I used Tamiya spray paint, which is much easier to use and get a good smooth coat than the Testor's sprays.

I use a Paasche Millennium double-action airbrush.

18 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Excellent job. You know, for I don't know how long now, the road course cars nowadays are being fueled on the left side of the car. When I did my Tony Stewart road course winner, from a couple of years ago, I was going to put the filler on the right side, but when I looked at the reference pictures, I found out I didn't have to. That is at least at Sonoma they are on the left side.

I think that's true for Sonoma but not for Watkins Glen given the layout of that track's pit area.