Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Pontiac Ventura

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Mode Car World (MCW) makes a '60 Catalina/Ventura HT.

60pontcatht.jpg

Get Mode Care Garage's '60 Bonneville Detail Set MCG-2271 for the Trumpeter '60 Bonneville kit. It contains appropriate PE scripts for Bonneville/Star Chief/Catalina/Ventura.

I suppose that this could be one way to put the parts to use from my Trumpeter kit!

I'll never build it otherwise with that horrible body!

Steve

The Trumpeter chassis, including the engine compartment, is nicely detailed. Aside from the roof and the too short and too wide hood spear, the body ain't so bad. The shape, proportions and overall appearance match up  pretty well with the MCW body. I saw something on a car forum a while back where someone indicated that the bumpers and grille from the old AMT Craftsman '60 Bonneville fit the Trumpeter body. I did some re-constructive roof surgery on the one I'm building and it looks like it's supposed to. Another workaround I thought about is a less involved than a complete roof transplant, using a trashed '59/'60 Revellogram Impala donor. I'll add that bit of info in my WIP "Three Cars, One Roof".

The Ventura was an upgraded interior and exterior trim for the Catalina. The Bonneville was built on a longer wheel base and most of that was in the rear quarters and trunk area. I agree that the suggestion of the '59 or '60 Impalas from Revell might be the best way to get the chassis that you would need., of course with a Pontiac engine in place of the 348.   

15 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The Trumpeter chassis, including the engine compartment, is nicely detailed. Aside from the roof and the too short and too wide hood spear, the body ain't so bad. The shape, proportions and overall appearance match up  pretty well with the MCW body. I saw something on a car forum a while back where someone indicated that the bumpers and grille from the old AMT Craftsman '60 Bonneville fit the Trumpeter body. I did some re-constructive roof surgery on the one I'm building and it looks like it's supposed to. Another workaround I thought about is a less involved than a complete roof transplant, using a trashed '59/'60 Revellogram Impala donor. I'll add that bit of info in my WIP "Three Cars, One Roof".

I think that I'll just stick with my AMT annual '60 Bonneville. ;)

Steve

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, SfanGoch said:

I have both a Trumpeter and an old AMT annual hardtop available to me to be worked over. I have not made the decision as to which one to build. If I go full detail, I want my build to be a 4-speed car. There were so many different color combinations available, I don't know what color I am going with.