Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC Astro wrecker

I bet you that wrecker , the real one if there is one rides rough as you know what!!!!!!!!!!!! Still, the turning radius would be great as the cab could turn onit self. I wqould like to see a real one and talk to someone whose had experence with the real thing. All the "Big " wreckers I ever drove were conventional cabs because in that big of a truck , they ride is very rough. With something behind weeeeeelllll................. Still, its a beautiful job you did on the model, I have family that worked for Shell Oil at one time. I used to be a wrecker driver - owner too. EdShaver

I drove an International cabover wrecker about that wheelbase and it got into tight spots. That was a kidneybeater, but not as bad as you would expect. Loaded down really heavy, the steering got weird and I could not get used to that. Jacking up the airride wouldn't quite get it.

It's back to the drawing board for me. I built one of these for a couple of years ago, but just made a day cab out of it. I then used the wrecker body as is. In other words I used no "imagination" on it. I've been dissatisfied with it ever since. I think it's time for some reworking. Thanks for the inspiration. That is a fantastic build.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

This is superb! A lot of imagination and hard work has obviously gone into this. Once again your scratchbuilding skills have produced a very differant and interesting truck. The colour looks great in the sun light. I always prefer photographing my finished trucks in the natural daylight. It really does make them set them off.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates