Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texaco Station

uncle potts

Looks really good so far. One thing to remember is when concrete cracks, it will always crack from one joint to another. (it won't stop in the middle of a slab like asphalt will) A great video by Ken Hamilton. 

On 3/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, Greg T said:

Looks really good so far. One thing to remember is when concrete cracks, it will always crack from one joint to another. (it won't stop in the middle of a slab like asphalt will) A great video by Ken Hamilton. 

Greg 

Thanks for the tip. Where the crack appears to stop is where the island for the pumps go. Here is a pic to show what i mean.

15519870854191610047331.jpg

On 3/6/2019 at 10:28 AM, Greg T said:

Is that Dr.Cranky in the back ground?

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, uncle potts said:

I tried a wash on the building. I've never done this before so i really dont know what I'm doing. Let me know what you think. I'm always open to suggestions as well. Thanks for looking.

20190316_172616.jpg

Looks great so far. What color wash did you use? I’m a newbie, so I don’t know if my advice is useful at all, but as you go you might add more washes of different tones. What I have done in my dioramas, I have added washes of brown where dirt and grime is collected the most. I have added green washes to the areas where there is very humid and water collects (Be careful with this one. I have done it on mine and in some areas got a little out of hand. Study well where moss and mildew is collected the most and be subtle). I’m thinking, since it’s a garage/gas station, there will be oil stains. Sorry for throwing all these ideas at you. Lol. Your diorama looks so good that I can picture it with the extra weathering. Awesome details!!! 

I added a picture of one of my current projects ( still long ways to go). If you have any questions on how I did the weathering let me know. Of course, there’s a lot of room for improvement, as I’m just learning as I go by trial and error.

FE897C25-59E9-4809-ABAD-A868EB2D4D91.jpeg

Yordan, Thanks for the tips. I user a light Grey wash on my diorama. I thought the doors didnt look right. So i added a wash of White and it toned the doors down. I am still working on more washes. Not sure where to go next. 

Tours looks really good. Ive round on u tube a series of video Valles Boulder Creek Railroad lots of good Ideal there.

13 minutes ago, uncle potts said:

Yordan, Thanks for the tips. I user a light Grey wash on my diorama. I thought the doors didnt look right. So i added a wash of White and it toned the doors down. I am still working on more washes. Not sure where to go next. 

Tours looks really good. Ive round on u tube a series of video Valles Boulder Creek Railroad lots of good Ideal there.

I would continue working on the diorama and then weather the rest last, unless is an area you won’t be able to reach later. Keep in mind that anything else you add to the structure or ground will need weathering as well (around it, under and top). I lookmat thing like in real life. Pic a side that gets hit by the sun the most, and the paint will be more pale and or peeling off. Where is less expose and you have vegetation or objects against it, there will be mildew and possibly moss growing (I use olive green watercolor for the green mildew and for the moss I use woodland scenic HO scale fine turf). I really like the concrete color you applied and the grey wash goes very well.