Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attn:Question for Greg H. owner of Model cars mag

Harry--

As a seller on Ebay and a one who accepts PayPal, when someone pays for their item with Paypal, say it was $20, the $20 is deposited into my PayPal account, but I only received $19.78 (rough guess). Paypal (nee Ebay) charges me a service fee for using/accepting PayPal payments. I don't particularly care for it, but as someone mentioned, it's the 'cost of doing business'. Let's see- auction listing fee + final selling value fee + PayPal use fee= less $$ in my pocket, which makes Momma unhappy! :P

Al

9% overhead is a pretty cheap cost of doing business.

Harry--

As a seller on Ebay and a one who accepts PayPal, when someone pays for their item with Paypal, say it was $20, the $20 is deposited into my PayPal account, but I only received $19.78 (rough guess). Paypal (nee Ebay) charges me a service fee for using/accepting PayPal payments. I don't particularly care for it, but as someone mentioned, it's the 'cost of doing business'. Let's see- auction listing fee + final selling value fee + PayPal use fee= less $$ in my pocket, which makes Momma unhappy! :P

Al

Well we haven't even discussed the INSANE shipping fees by most Ebay sellers. I think in your rough guess making $19.78 out of $20 is pretty good. I'm sure Ebay sellers can make up the $0.22 by charging $7 to $10 to ship a model kit. Not neccesarily you Al, but a majority. The way I look at it is that Ebay is the landlord, so what they say goes. And as much as I'm not an Ebay fan they do deserve to make $$$. So if it bothers you that much 1.)Go rent a storefront 2.)Pay utilities 3.)Pay insurance 4.)Pay for shelve fixtures 5.)Employees etc. etc. etc. ..... Then when a customer tries to pay for his/her item(s) and you tell them you don't take debit/credit see how much they buy. That $19.78 out of $20 is lookin pretty good huh? I'm not trying to be rude but this argument is kind of silly to me. But, just my opinion. Nothing personal. -Will

How are they going to force you?? Simple.. do it or leave.. Thats how it is everywhere.. Take off your shirt and go into BK.. they make you leave. Bring a beer to church.. they make you leave.. Its there website they get to set the rules for it. Im sure it will be set up with a paypal account having to be attached to your ebay account. Kinda like how years ago they made selles attach a Credit card. You were not allowed to buy or sell untill that action was done. Im sure they also wont allow a trading of address untill payment has been made..even then im sure only the seller gets an address not the buyer. They control now what you can send and how you can send it.. I can not mail in ebays system a website. Im sure they can program it to pick up zip codes and addresses.. The can prevent you from contacting outside of ebay to exchange addresses by not releasing your email to the buyer/seller so you have to use ebays in house mail that they control. Yes there may be loop holes but they will plug them fast.

I sell a good deal on ebay.. I love paypal.. With money orders I have to go to the bank, cash or deposit money order, go to post office, wait in line, ship package. With paypal..print shipping label Drop package in mailbox.. done. Its a huge time saver.

Ebay is also going to start limiting the amount of shipping people can charge. Also shipping is expensive.Its gone up a ton in the last few years. Shipping small detail items is cheap but go over a pound and it gets pricey real fast.. The last few kits ive shipped have run me around 6 bucks. a kit to canada cost me 12 and thats first class mail.. not priority..

Edited by Ricks

How are they going to force you?? Simple.. do it or leave.. Thats how it is everywhere.. Take off your shirt and go into BK.. they make you leave. Bring a beer to church.. they make you leave.. Its there website they get to set the rules for it. Im sure it will be set up with a paypal account having to be attached to your ebay account. Kinda like how years ago they made selles attach a Credit card. You were not allowed to buy or sell untill that action was done. Im sure they also wont allow a trading of address untill payment has been made..even then im sure only the seller gets an address not the buyer. They control now what you can send and how you can send it.. I can not mail in ebays system a website. Im sure they can program it to pick up zip codes and addresses.. The can prevent you from contacting outside of ebay to exchange addresses by not releasing your email to the buyer/seller so you have to use ebays in house mail that they control. Yes there may be loop holes but they will plug them fast.

I sell a good deal on ebay.. I love paypal.. With money orders I have to go to the bank, cash or deposit money order, go to post office, wait in line, ship package. With paypal..print shipping label Drop package in mailbox.. done. Its a huge time saver.

Ebay is also going to start limiting the amount of shipping people can charge. Also shipping is expensive.Its gone up a ton in the last few years. Shipping small detail items is cheap but go over a pound and it gets pricey real fast.. The last few kits ive shipped have run me around 6 bucks. a kit to canada cost me 12 and thats first class mail.. not priority..

That is reasonable, but some times not so.

I won a kit that was $9 but the seller wanted $40 shipping. So have little doubt people tack on whatever they can in shipping and handling, not all, but it's been a long time since I said to myself that was pretty reasonable shipping.

I am glad they will be putting the breaks on shipping.

That is reasonable, but some times not so.

I won a kit that was $9 but the seller wanted $40 shipping. So have little doubt people tack on whatever they can in shipping and handling, not all, but it's been a long time since I said to myself that was pretty reasonable shipping.

I am glad they will be putting the breaks on shipping.

I right there with you!!! Too Many Sellers Gouge the Heck out of you with shipping, so that they can pad their overall total!! I refuse to deal with those sellers that do that, especially when they start the Auction at $0 and they Say no Reserve in bold....

This is usually the way my luck goes...

"Oh wow look at that kit..i finally found one!, ohh! the seller has 3 more i want, ok..i check the shipping, what do i see? 9 dollars shipping *each additional item is just half the original shipping price!"

I see that often as well..then it looks like just shipping will cost me $22.50!!

Edited by RyanSilva

I agree with you on that. Once information goes out you never know who will end up with it.

I have news for you. If you've EVER paid for anything with a credit card...heck, if you even just HAVE a credit card, your "information" is already out there in more places than you've ever imagined. How do you figure Experian, etc., calculates your credit score? With information on you and your monetary habits...lots of information. It's all already out there. With today's technology, it's basically impossible to be anonymous.

I have news for you. If you've EVER paid for anything with a credit card...heck, if you even just HAVE a credit card, your "information" is already out there in more places than you've ever imagined.

True! Not to mention simply paying your utilities in your home, electric, phone, having a loan---car or otherwise, etc......they already have tons of info out there on ya!

Lets not mention if you've ever paid for anything online, or have an automatic debit for anything............don't necessarily need a credit/debit card-----just your bank info will do. B)

I agree with you on that. Once information goes out you never know who will end up with it.

Well statistically you have a better chance of some taking your info from buger king or home depot than off an Internet transaction.

The good news is CC has very good protection.

For the buyer, there is no Charge for using Paypal...BUT for the Seller, there is an automatic deduction (Seller's fee) for using Paypal....then you add in the many additional Charges that e-Bay charges the Seller......and now e-Bay wants the Sellers to offer "Free Shipping."......So here is the thing yall, if we, the Sellers go to e-Bay's New Policy of..."But It Now", guess what yall.....all of those Fees and Paypal Charges are going to be included in the "Buy It Now" Price.....so yall WON'T get Free Shipping......get it? :lol:

While I don't necessarily agree with all of the changes eBay is doing, some of them are nice. I think the negatives however outweigh the positives.

I too buy and sell. I happily accept payments of all kinds. But as a seller I also have to protect myself. I have my stipulations with M.O.'s as well as personal checks. I re-iterate them three to four times so that the buyer knows. OF course it doesn't always work, but some people live in the shallow end of the gene pool too.

Marc makes some great points. I concur with them.

As far as shipping goes, I'm surprised nobody saw or read the part where eBay is now going to limit sellers on their shipping and handling fees. They really do want you to pay.

I really see the commerce here, in my eyes as eBay and pay-pal lining their pockets even more. Has anyone been following the market with them? It's interesting to say the least.

You can surely bet when Oct. 1 hits and we start, pay-pal won't be too far behind with some "new" fee policies because of added transactions due to all of this.

Someone mentioned 9% overhead, which isn't bad really, but that overhead is going to get bigger come 2009 too.

I've got a lot more to say but I'll leave it at this.

Chris

just wanted to say i use Paypal and have been for several years. I have a merchant account so i can accept credit cards. i DO get charged fees for receiving funds, no matter what they pay with. i DON'T get charged for sending money to anyone. i USED to have a regular account in which was private and i did NOT get charged for receiving....it's just the merchant accounts that do.

my personal feelings are WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE IN THIS HOBBY STOP SELLING AND BUYING MODELS ON EBAY ALLLLLL ON THE SAME DAY AND START SELLING ON EMODELCARS.COM THAT SAME DAY?????

it would not be that hard?...make some youtube videos, send emails to everyone you know, post about it on all the forums and groups you belong to, call your friends, if you have a web site PROMOTE emodelcars as the PLACE TO BUY AND SELL and ESTABLISH A DATE for this all to take place! sure...there will still be stuff on ebay, but them people are NOT modelers! they are people who sell everything.....but don't build models like we do! (they will eventually catch on) i think there is more than enough people on this forum to spread this around to a few thousand people......if you follow through, it will work!

hey...if they can spread the word around the country to stop buying gas on Tuesday .....why can't we stop selling models on ebay and make the BIG SWITCH to a FREEEEEEEE site that has all the categories we need and don't have to surf through piles of diecast to find what we want?

BIG BONUSES !!!! NO FEES.....imagine all the money you can save and start making your money back! imagine how GOOD it is for the hobby! what this hobby needs is for more modelers to help modelers....even in the pocket book.

not only is www.emodelcars.com FREE....but it's owned by Gregg, the guy that owns this forum and the magazine we all love! yeah sure....paypal is an option, so take the option and use it to get paid QUICK , it's not hard to transfer the money to your bank .....heck anyone that uses paypal is going to understand that 3 day waiting period to transfer IF you don't have a Paypal VISA to get the money faster? OH and you can pay shipping ONLINE with your Paypal account! check into .....those who don't know :angry:

PS....i don't have a soap box, it sold on ebay for $15.00 and ebay allowed me to keep some of my money......

Edited by awbcrazy