Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Ford Mustang II: Update 11/25/2009

kerc

Got started with this today...This is a mockup with its wheels and tires:

IMGP0055.jpg

It's gonna be painted light blue (the plain ol' Testors square bottle light blue!), and the interiors will be in a leather tone. Also began basic engine assembly...The stock headers are awful, so I started building these:

IMGP0058.jpg

:P

Edited by kerc

Got started with this today...This is a mockup with its wheels and tires:

IMGP0055.jpg

It's gonna be painted light blue (the plain ol' Testors square bottle light blue!), and the interiors will be in a leather tone. Also began basic engine assembly...The stock headers are awful, so I started building these:

IMGP0058.jpg

:P

Them scratch built headers are a big improvement over the stock plastick

Small update...was prepping the firewall for wiring, and thought up a simple way of creating brackets and tie-downs for cabling and hoses: Took some small diameter wiring and hammered it until evenly flat. Made two holes where the tie-down will go, inserted it there and bent the remainder of the tie-down to keep it tight. This is just a pic testing how it looks...

IMGP0060.jpg

I also lowered the front-end of the chassis and I have to make new lower-arms for the front suspension. By the way, found a wonderful website with reference for this car. Click here to go there...

:D

Another brief update:

Driver-side header is almost finished. Took me a while to get the alignment right--this is stiff wire (stuff used for plants and decorating, got a bunch of rods for $1 at Walmart)...Anyway, after I make a collector and a flange, I'll paint the whole thing flat white.

IMGP0069.jpg

IMGP0070.jpg

;)

Edited by kerc

Okay, here's a few updates for the weekend:

Scrapped the solid rod headers and made them from solder. To create the collector, I simply melted the soldering rod together. Still needs a biut of cleanup, but it looks nice to me...

IMGP0090.jpg

I then went ahead and mixed some Testors enamels, to get this funky blue shade. It needs sanding, I got more orange peel than expected...Maybe needed more thinner?

IMGP0097.jpg

And also painted the interiors with a properly 1970's-looking brown shade:

IMGP0100.jpg

I also retouched the wheels with Testors gold because the inside of the wheels came unpainted in white...

:lol:

It went into the tank today...I tried to polish it but it was just too much. More thinner next time! ;)
I was going to suggest that but thought it was more fun seeing you suffer through the polishing progress!!! :P:P Are you using a clear on that?

I was going to suggest that but thought it was more fun seeing you suffer through the polishing progress!!! ;):P Are you using a clear on that?

Yep, I plan on using clear...It depends on how the paint polishes out next time...

• 1 year later...

Don't have much time to elaborate (gotta get ready to go to a birthday party), but I resucitated this project and it's coming along rather nice. Chassis is almost done, engine is in place, interior almost complete...It should be finished for next week. Here's some pics!

IMGP0133.jpg

IMGP0134.jpg

IMGP0135.jpg

IMGP0136.jpg

IMGP0138.jpg

B)

Jose, pretty good save on the paint! Like Mike asked, What kit is it? I don't think I ever saw this kit with an opening hatchback, or did you make it yourself? If you did, it came out pretty good!!! :lol::lol:

George,

This is the AMT kit. The MPC kit did not have an opening hatch.

Kerc,

Great job on the Deuce!!!

Vaya Kerc, nice project!..I liked, I would just suggest to try maybe another set of wheels to see how it looks, maybe something classical, I don't know, just how I see it. I don't know preety much about these ones...Another question..Do you plan to sand down your hands too?.. :huh:

IMGP0097.jpg

Dale pa'lante que te esta quedando chevere!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

• 2 weeks later...
Vaya Kerc, nice project!..I liked, I would just suggest to try maybe another set of wheels to see how it looks, maybe something classical, I don't know, just how I see it. I don't know preety much about these ones...Another question..Do you plan to sand down your hands too?.. :rolleyes:

IMGP0097.jpg

Dale pa'lante que te esta quedando chevere!

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Only the COOL modelers have blue hands!

This might be the last update before moving to Under Glass. :lol: Gotta get some lil' details here and there, build and install the driveshaft, finish engine bay detailing, and build the exhaust. Then it's done! And yes, I noticed the rear glass on one of the side windows is drooping--I saw that after taking the pics, and it's fixed.

IMGP0197.jpg

IMGP0198.jpg

IMGP0200.jpg

IMGP0201.jpg

IMGP0202.jpg

IMGP0203.jpg

;)