Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tips for shipping built models

JayVee

On 1/15/2019 at 1:42 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

There's almost no way to ship built plastic models without significant damage or total destruction.

Die-casts are shipped with stout parts of the underbody lashed down to a hard surface, covered with a plastic or cardboard shell, and nothing contacting the upper part of the model.

This is, in effect, the way REAL cars are shipped, and it's the only way that really works.

Unfortunately, there's most often NO WAY to lash a plastic model to a hard surface to keep it from moving around in the box.

And marking a package "fragile" is often an invitation for it to be used as an impromptu football, or as a test object for penetration by a forklift.

I had shipped a model a few years ago.  I used a plastic display case and tied the model down inside.  I put this in a larger box with plenty of packing and it worked.  I didn't want anything touching the upper part of the model.

IMG_9529 b Brightness +25.jpg

IMG_9530.JPG

• Like 1

I know this is an old topic, but since it has bubbled to the top, I'll add some advice; Do not attempt to protect models by wrapping them in food wrap (Glad Wrap, Saran Wrap, etc). I once bought 14 built-ups all wrapped in food wrap to protect the paint. Removing the plastic wrap also peeled most of the paint off of the models.