Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford and Vette

RustedBronco

6 hours ago, RustedBronco said:

Getting close to completion. Revell 427 Corvette and Ford 4X4. Painted with Aztec paints. Slowly getting better at spraying acrylics. Comments welcome.

5c46437f19576_BenchB.thumb.jpg.5d0f2dd13cf84b663529c49924f46951.jpg5c464371b6432_BenchC.thumb.jpg.1312b00ba34cf144dc3b4b225fa4c184.jpg

I hope you'll take the time to elaborate on whatever issues you experienced when spraying the Aztec acrylics. 

A few months ago I came across a YouTube video showing a builder spraying it with what appears to be fairly good results. 

Despite what he stated about using slightly higher than normal air pressure, the paint flowed out well and dried quickly without any orange peel or other perceptible flaws.  Since then I've been waiting to use them on one of my current projects.  

Edited by Monty

Spraying acrylics is different from enamels. I was told, from someone on here, to thin the Aztec paints a little more. Keep the air pressure as low as possible, higher air pressures seem to dry it before getting to model. Keep a Qtip with Acrylic cleaner handy to clean brush tip off. During long spraying sessions the outside of tip will get paint drying over end of it. I use small amount of Vallejo Flow Improver in paint. Temperature and humidity seems to effect it more than enamels. The best tip would be to practice, practice and more practice, keep in mind that it is different that enamel. But will not stink your work area up and dries fast. Use your respirator.  Hope this provides a starting point.

3 hours ago, RustedBronco said:

Spraying acrylics is different from enamels. I was told, from someone on here, to thin the Aztec paints a little more. Keep the air pressure as low as possible, higher air pressures seem to dry it before getting to model. Keep a Qtip with Acrylic cleaner handy to clean brush tip off. During long spraying sessions the outside of tip will get paint drying over end of it. I use small amount of Vallejo Flow Improver in paint. Temperature and humidity seems to effect it more than enamels. The best tip would be to practice, practice and more practice, keep in mind that it is different that enamel. But will not stink your work area up and dries fast. Use your respirator.  Hope this provides a starting point.

I just learnt today that acrylics do not necessarily have to be "low-odor". ;)

Btw, I like your models and paint finish, the Vette especially!

Edited by Tommy124