Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone casting MPC 70-72 Cuda Bumpers?

50 minutes ago, Carmak said:

Is anyone casting MPC 70-72 Cuda bumpers and/or the MPC 70 Cuda front bumper/grille?

Thanks.

Carmak

Not that I'm aware of . Heck , I'd rather have a conversion kit for the Revell 1970 Hemi'Cuda / Sox & Martin kit than the ancient MPC annuals stuff . 

Wasn't someone working on a '72-'74 'Cuda conversion for the aforementioned Revell kit(s) ?

( I apologise if I hi-jacked your thread , Craig . Please delete my response / inquiries if you desire .) 

I can't get past the funky front fenders on the Revell 70 Cuda.

I have a couple original MPC kits missing bumpers and I would also like 70-72 bumpers to improve the looks of a 74 I have.

Craig

P.S. An MPC 70 Cuda grille/bumper fits the JoHan Sox and Martin car rather well.

I see a need here...especially if Round 2 will eventually be re-releasing their MPC '74 'Cuda. The Modelhaus used to do all of these bumpers, but now, I don't see anybody else doing them. Removing the bumper guards from the MPC '74 bumpers is nearly impossible. Just repopping MPC ''71-72 'Cuda bumpers (no guards on the fronts, standard guards on the rears) would be most welcome.

Maybe you could see if somebody is not using the extra bumpers from their Revell '70 'Cudas? I don't like the Revell body one bit, but the bumpers don't bug me. I have not tried to fit them to MPC or Jo Han bodies, so I don't know if they will work, but at least the Revell "rubber" bumpers look right, if you want to use them on a '70 or '71 build, or, a '72-'74 non-stock build. 

On 2/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, CapSat 6 said:

I see a need here...especially if Round 2 will eventually be re-releasing their MPC '74 'Cuda. The Modelhaus used to do all of these bumpers, but now, I don't see anybody else doing them. Removing the bumper guards from the MPC '74 bumpers is nearly impossible. Just repopping MPC ''71-72 'Cuda bumpers (no guards on the fronts, standard guards on the rears) would be most welcome.

Maybe you could see if somebody is not using the extra bumpers from their Revell '70 'Cudas? I don't like the Revell body one bit, but the bumpers don't bug me. I have not tried to fit them to MPC or Jo Han bodies, so I don't know if they will work, but at least the Revell "rubber" bumpers look right, if you want to use them on a '70 or '71 build, or, a '72-'74 non-stock build. 

The Requirements for Bumper Safety (LoL) are as follows . '72 MY , 2.5 MPH , no Impact damage at the front . '73 MY , 2.5 Front , 2.5 Rear , no Impact Damage . '74 MY , 5 MPH both Front and Rear , no Impact Damage . The requirements were satisfied with Big Rubber Guards on the Pony Cars . This explains the different size of the Rubber Blocks making appearances through the years . The Guardrail Bumpers were required for the '75 MY and beyond . Prior ti 1975 , the regulation was for direct square Bump into the Bumpers .  Not a deflection or at an angle occurrence .  I think this should clear some confusion up for Stock Builders . Thanx .. 

On 2/8/2019 at 10:10 PM, Carmak said:

I wonder if most of the automakers got a complete pass on the 72MY fornts and 73 MY rears. Even some cars in 73 had non reinforced front bumpers (Camaro & Firebird specifically).

Carmak

Yes the Big Rubber guards met requirements . 2.5 mph square on collision . Then 5 mph collisions with exemptions for small cars .. lol .. Still square on impacts . Thanx .. 

On 2/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, mopar ken said:

Harts parts resin is doing the 70 cuda grill and front and rear bumpers for the old mpc kit along with the shaker hood to . i just gave him a set out of my mint kit to copy .

I just checked Harts Parts catalog . It lists a '70 & '71 Duster Grille as the same part . It seems to me it is a '70 MY . Hmmm . possibly  not listed yet these parts you describe ? Thanx .. 

Edited by dimaxion

On 2/17/2019 at 10:04 AM, dimaxion said:

I just checked Harts Parts catalog . It lists a '70 & '71 Duster Grille as the same part . It seems to me it is a '70 MY . Hmmm . possibly  not listed yet these parts you describe ? Thanx .. 

they are / were the same grill

This is what I am after . Pic 1 . The Sjhark Tooth Grille for the '71 and up is what is in the AMT Kit . Iam wanting to do a backdate for the '70 MY Duster . Pic 2 . Thanx .. 

Should hows-l1600.jpgFront Sharktooth  Grille assembly 71-72 Plymouth Duster 340 and Tis is in the AMT his her taxes?

97% (1405 Votes)
3% (37 Votes)

16 hours ago, dimaxion said:

This is what I am after . Pic 1 . The Sjhark Tooth Grille for the '71 and up is what is in the AMT Kit . Iam wanting to do a backdate for the '70 MY Duster . Pic 2 . Thanx .. 

Should hows-l1600.jpgFront Sharktooth  Grille assembly 71-72 Plymouth Duster 340 and Tis is in the AMT his her taxes?

97% (1405 Votes)
3% (37 Votes)

You’re in business. Hart’s Parts ‘70 Duster Grille is the one in the first pic. That grille was used in ‘70 on all Duster and Valiant models, while in ‘71, that same grille was used on all Valiants, Scamps, and base Dusters. Duster Twisters and Duster 340’s got the shark tooth grille in ‘71. 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:28 AM, CapSat 6 said:

You’re in business. Hart’s Parts ‘70 Duster Grille is the one in the first pic. That grille was used in ‘70 on all Duster and Valiant models, while in ‘71, that same grille was used on all Valiants, Scamps, and base Dusters. Duster Twisters and Duster 340’s got the shark tooth grille in ‘71. 

Thank you . The pic was not that clear for me at his page .. Thanx ..