Model Cars Magazine Forum

Difference between Zero 2K Clear and "Diamond" Clear

After seeing my Huracan Performante build in progress, @Mike Chernecki, asked me what the difference was between regular Zero Paints 2K clear and the "Diamond Finish" version. I thought some others might be interested to see what they think. Mixing, application and clean up is the same as any of the Zero 2K urethane clear coats: gloss, satin, matt or diamond. <compulsory public service announcement> Wear gloves, a good chemical filtering mask, and use a spray booth with outdoor extraction. So, does the diamond look different. Well, I think I can see a difference: the shine seems richer somehow, and the colours really pop. Why, I have no idea: both the diamond and gloss coats lay down with a super smooth surface. Let's see what you think: neither of the bodyshells below has been polished, they are both as sprayed. The Lambo is Diamond, the Cali spider is regular gloss.

diamond-vs-2K-1.jpg

diamond-vs-2K-3.jpg

diamond-vs-2k-2.jpg

Of course, I don't happen to have two shells the same colour, one in each type of clear -- I've switched over to the Diamond all the time now. One point to note: the Diamond hardener will cure and go solid by itself in about 6 months after opening the bottle at room temperature, so it's worth keeping it in the fridge...

PS: looking on the Hiroboy.com site, home of Zero Paints, it seems that the regular gloss isn't available. The Diamond is now at a "new low price", of £18.96 for the full set of three components, which is the same as the matt and satin versions, so it looks like Steve has also phased out regular gloss in favour of the Diamond instead.

best,

M.

Good question, I think I remember Tom Ruijter (the guy doing TheScaleModelingChannel on YouTube) say back then that the Diamond version is indeed an improved one with regards to a better sheen - which is pretty much what you noticed too. Storing the hardener in a fridge is an obligation IMHO. I would not want to apply the clear coat mix on a model and find out only then that something's off... Although one would normally notice that by the hardener partially being... hardened. 

As regards your 2k clear coat results especially without doing any polishing, very nice. I still have some way to go practicing before it will work out like that for me...

• 4 months later...