Model Cars Magazine Forum

Datsun 510 Club Racer

2002p51

This is from the venerable old Revell BRE Datsun kit. I've had the kit forever and finally decided to build it. But the decals were ruined and replacements could not be found without buying another, now very expensive kit, on eBay. So I decided to go this way. A lot of 510s are being raced in SCCA and other club type events all over the country so I thought, why not? I upgraded to roll cage by adding some additional bar made from Evergreen rod. I also added a more modern seat from an AMT NASCAR car. Shaved the "Goodyear" off the tires and stenciled them as Hoosiers. 

There were some frustrations with this project. I had intended to replace the gray vinyl tubing with steel braided lines but that proved to be way to tricky in the tight little engine compartment. And nothing I did could get the front valence to fit right but. other than that, I'm happy with it. Tell me what y'all think.  

I tried to embed a short video without success so just click on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fuhSQ2e3Ho

video-1552693032.mp4

Edited by 2002p51

Great looking 510. I built one of the original BRE livery kits a couple of years ago and like you the decals were in bad shape. I was able to clean them up in the water dish and position them and they held their place long enough to dry and then spray them with clear. This is a great kit and I like that you stayed with the SCCA theme.