Model Cars Magazine Forum

Square body/73-87 Chevy

Got this kit with the intentions of going custom. Going for a lowered show truck. I think I'm going to start practicing some detail work but we will see. I've thought about just dropping the truck and skipping any engine work as I'm more interested in learning some lowered suspension work over engine detail work and that will leave me with an extra 350 engine and a TH400 (?) tranny. We will see, I have one kit near completion and a semi transfer truck I recently started. I am shaving some of the trim from the original... The parking lights on the fenders and the trim that wraps around the cab. I'm debating on deleting the vent window and going with a solid door glass... Anyone done that before? Curious how it will look. Thanks for taking the time to look, comments and suggestions always welcome.

Anthony

Screenshot_20190406-232653.png

IMG_20190324_231003903.jpg

IMG_20190324_231014633.jpg

IMG_20190403_230055670.jpg

IMG_20190403_230103125.jpg

You have a good start and a plan/direction you are headed.  I think what you are doing is a good way to learn new tricks and ideas. You can always go back later and add an engine if you want to. 

This style is called a Curbside. Hoods glued shut looking just like a car sitting by the curb.  

Your plan sounds like a good one.  Have you considered removing the door handles?  That would really clean up the sides.  As far as the vent windows I think I would remove them, it is a subtle change that would make a world of difference to the overall smooth look.  People would notice it, but not necessarily recognize what had been done; scratching their heads trying to figure it out.

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

You have a good start and a plan/direction you are headed.  I think what you are doing is a good way to learn new tricks and ideas. You can always go back later and add an engine if you want to. 

This style is called a Curbside. Hoods glued shut looking just like a car sitting by the curb.  

Thanks! I heard and read that term and kind of knew what it meant but didn't realize it meant no engine and hood glued shut.

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Your plan sounds like a good one.  Have you considered removing the door handles?  That would really clean up the sides.  As far as the vent windows I think I would remove them, it is a subtle change that would make a world of difference to the overall smooth look.  People would notice it, but not necessarily recognize what had been done; scratching their heads trying to figure it out.

I thought about shaving the door handles. In real life I don't like them but I think you're right. And thanks for the vote of confidence deleting the vent window, I'm going to get it gone!

The vent window removal is a good idea. This is often done on 1:1 trucks along with the door handles removal. Another thought since you're trying to smooth up the body. Remove the drip rails above the doors. Believe it or not they were an extra cost option thru about '77. The grill is another area that can change the way your model will look. I would check any on line images to see what you do or don't like. The earlier 1:1 pick ups had the grill deeper in set. Most common was a simple tube bar grill.