Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '63 Chevrolet Impala SS Hardtop

Casey

21 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Is that from an ebay auction? Looks to me like somebody subbed a Prestige issue 63 Impala for the original. It has the later style ooening hood, crude engine and molded in tailights.

Are you asking about the last pic, in the post directly above yours? They are all eBay images, and the last image above with the tail light lenses resting on top of the trunk is from the same listing as some of the earlier images I posted-- same hexagonal able cover or whatever that is.

I honestly can't tell if the tail lights are part of the body from the angle the picture was taken, but it looks like the tab at the rear of the hood (for use with the metal clip) is present? I wouldn't bet money on that though, and is could just be flash from the gate. The firewall and clear custom tube grille are both present, and...well, there appear to many of the unique parts present which "should" be present.

Honestly, I just posted it to show a good, clear image of the tail light lenses, period. I'm still digging through old posts before I say anything more.

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Are you asking about the last pic, in the post directly above yours? They are all eBay images, and the last image above with the tail light lenses resting on top of the trunk is from the same listing as some of the earlier images I posted-- same hexagonal able cover or whatever that is.

I honestly can't tell if the tail lights are part of the body from the angle the picture was taken, but it looks like the tab at the rear of the hood (for use with the metal clip) is present? I wouldn't bet money on that though, and is could just be flash from the gate. The firewall and clear custom tube grille are both present, and...well, there appear to many of the unique parts present which "should" be present.

Honestly, I just posted it to show a good, clear image of the tail light lenses, period. I'm still digging through old posts before I say anything more.

Hi Casey, I do see the red taillights, but the body has them molded in, and it has the newer style hood opening. (Compare with the annual kit posted earlier). Rather than using a center hood clip the newer issue has a slot on each side for a molded in hood hinge. The instructions say Craftsman, so the body shouldn't have an opening hood. I've a lot of cases on ebay where sellers sub in newer issue parts. Pretty sure this is one of those.

Dave, I think you are referencing the image of the Chevelle Drag Team, correct? This one?:

chevelledragteam2.jpg

I do see the two slots in the cowl area for the hood hinges you mentioned, and the Craftsman instruction sheet, so sorry, I should've been clearer which image I was talking about.

Here is the post I mentioned earlier, in which Mark mentioned something was off:

Edited by Casey

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, Dave Darby said:

Is that from an ebay auction? Looks to me like somebody subbed a Prestige issue 63 Impala for the original. It has the later style ooening hood, crude engine and molded in tailights.

I just noticed that too. You are correct. I think that the tow kit had no open hood.

2 hours ago, crazypainter said:

still a good kit--------it has a retooled firewall and kustom parts---------- molded in tailights --

While the molded in taillights are an inconvenience, they actually have better detail than the old clear red taillights they replaced. I did these with Baremetal Foil and Testors 1204 Dark Red back in 1990, and would be even easier today with a Molotow pen.

20190926_084418.jpg