Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody Resin Cast Revell 67 Corvette Small Block Hood

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I've used a cut down hood from the Monogram 1/24 65 "Black Rat" Vette. If it's a flat hood you're looking for, it'll fit with a little filing around the edges. Be sure to match up the dome before you start.

Thanks guys. I do have the Black Rat kit. It also has the correct seats and side coves to use to make a 66 Roadster.

13 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Thanks guys. I do have the Black Rat kit. It also has the correct seats and side coves to use to make a 66 Roadster.

Oh, my! :blink:

Is that what you're trying to do? Build a '66 roadster from the Revell '67 roadster kit? With parts from their 1/24 '65? 

Len, I have too much respect for your skill as a modeler to encourage you to go down that road. You'll have a LOT of work in producing a very inferior model. 

First off, the front fender vents in the Monogram 1/24 '65 Vette are too big to look right in any 1/25 body. I know, I investigated this myself. 

Second, the Revell '67 Vette roadster body is awful. The whole front end is wrong and needs major and skillful reshaping to look right. (I've done that, too, and I'll never do it again.) This problem is limited to their '67 roadster. The corrected the shapes on the Coupe body, and on the '63 Coupe and Roadster snappers. Those bodies are all good, and about as accurate Sting Ray bodies as you can get in any scale. 

The Monogram '65 Vette seats can't be used for an accurate '66 roadster. Different upholstery patterns. The rocker panels are different for the three years, and the body emblems are different between '65 and '66-67--and you'll need that emblem for the hood of a '66, too (which no other year of C2 had), so that's another problem to solve. 

If you want to build a decent '66 roadster, your best bet is to haunt eBay for a restorable AMT '66 annual. They're out there; I've bought several at reasonable prices. Just scored one a couple months ago. The AMT body isn't as accurate as the good Revells, but it's better than the Revell '67 roadster and doesn't look bad. Another way to do it would be start with an unrestorable AMT '65 or '66 Vette and then use its fender vents and hood on a Revell body--either the snapper '63 roadster, or start with the Revell '67 coupe, cut off the top, and graft in the rear deck area from their '67 roadster (which you apparently already have--if you don't already have one, I recently bought two of them cheap just for the chassis, engines, and other random parts and I'd be glad to send you a body for a rear deck donor to convert a Coupe body). 

I've got a LOT of research in C2 Vettes and the kits of them and would be happy to help you with this project any way I can. Drop me an email at SnakeACP45 at aol dot com. There are several paths to the top of the mountain of building a GOOD 1/25 '66 Corvette roadster model. Let me help you find one, my friend. B)

Here's one that's in the pile to be restored. 

Note that the gas caps, rocker panels, and seat upholstery are different among the five years of C2s. The major visual change is the front fender vents, of course, but the other detail differences are there too. It all depends on how far you want to go on accuracy. 

AMT66VetteRoadB02_zps26ghemal.jpg.82618ee954dc0fd65e1318c33fa17cbc.jpg

46 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

What are some of the issues with the '67 Roadster.  I am not really a Vette worshiper, but I do have a couple I want to work on.

The front fenders are mis-shaped--bloated and fat looking. Ruins the look of the whole car. This is only on the roadster, the coupe is fine, as are both of the '63 Snappers. 

A few years back, I converted the Revell 67 Corvette Roadster into a 65 for a gentleman . I adapted the small block hood from an AMT 65 that I had in my stash. I posted pictures of the finished model. The model came out great, and I may do a 66 in the same manner. I used the AMT 65 as the guide, along with pictures of Paul's 65. The 63 through 67 Corvettes are among my favorite cars. I cannot afford a pristine 1966 AMT kit, but I can convert one of my Revell 67s. I like the kit, and bought several while they were cheap. As a matter of fact, I have several AMT Corvette kits from that era too.

Good luck on the project.

2 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I cannot afford a pristine 1966 AMT kit....

Me neither, but restorable builtups can be quite reasonable. I've managed to score several in the $30-$45 range, which isn't bad at all considering what common new kits sell for. B)

The Revell Corvettes and the oft-reissued AMT '63s help keep the prices of originals down somewhat. If those didn't exist, it's hard to imagine what original AMT C2 Vettes would sell for in ANY condition! :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 9:45 PM, Snake45 said:

Me neither, but restorable builtups can be quite reasonable. I've managed to score several in the $30-$45 range, which isn't bad at all considering what common new kits sell for. B)

The Revell Corvettes and the oft-reissued AMT '63s help keep the prices of originals down somewhat. If those didn't exist, it's hard to imagine what original AMT C2 Vettes would sell for in ANY condition! :blink:

If you seen the stash of AMT 63-67 Corvette coupes and roadsters I have, it would boggle the mind. I have MPC 67s, as well as Revell 67s and Monogram 65s and a 66 race car that I am converting into a stock 427 coupe. 

Those are my favorite cars.

Well, a friend of mine is working on updates for the Revell 67 in order to convert to 65 and 66.  He has finished the SB hood, and bodies, and is still working on a 66 seat and the 65/66 BB hood.

IMG_1322[1].JPG

IMG_1321[1].JPG

That coupe body looks pretty good. The roadster, unfortunately, still looks like the bloated Revell '67 roadster kit. 

Tell your friend if he wants to make a really nice '65-'66 roadster, start with the Revell '67 coupe. Cut the top off it and graft in the deck area from a roadster. It'll look 200% better. 

And if he REALLY wants to do it up right, widen the rear end just a hair so the hard top from the old AMT '65-'67 roadster kits (or the Modelhaus repros thereof) will fit it. I'll buy a couple of them. B)

(I recently bought a cheap Revell '63 roadster snapper just because I wanted the wheels. I'm thinking of grafting in the fender vents from a Revell '67 roadster body I also bought cheap just for parts, and using the '67 stinger hood, and slinging together sort of a "rat rod Vette" just for giggles.)

Edited by Snake45

• 2 weeks later...

Yep,  the plan is to finish the 65 BB hood, and send to a resin caster with 65 and 66 seats to use as a transkit for the '67.  You will have to use the '67 interior tub, but all you really have to do is a bit of rework on the console.