Model Cars Magazine Forum

What does everyone use for a Convertible Boot cover?

white00gt

Hi guys was wondering what everyone uses to make up a boot cover for a "convertible" to give it that clean top down look.....Need ideas for my 07 Shelby GT-H Anniversary Edition "Convertible" project

Although I haven't been able to get very far due to hand surgery and recovery want to start on it again

been on this one before revell came out with the the GT-H

thanks Guys

BTW if any body has an idea for the top up that would be cool too

i have not tried this on entire tops but i was readin an article online a while ago concerning the ragtops and how to make them look authenthic.

the author showed pictures of a 4x4 with a ragtop he build that looked very awesome

what he did was paint the top and while it was still wet cover it with the cheapest toilet paper he could find (the single sheet see through without a design in it stuff)

and then once that was dried it he painted it the desired colour and the texture looked great

(ill try and hunt down the URL for you)

like i said, i have not tried this yet but i have aplied this idea to my junker ford.

i wanted it to look like there was a rip in the upholstery so i painted a tiny dirty yellow triangle in the front seat

then i got some of the same toilet paper and glued it on (with paint) in such a manner that it looked like it was the upholstery that was ripped and revealing the foam underneath.

i was very pleased with it.

i know this doesnt quite awnser your question (unless you decide to go with the top up) but you might be able to scratchbuilt a cover using the technique.

I just completed a 1957 Chevy, posted the "underglass" where I made a converible boot cover for it...take a look.

It was very easy to do, I trased the approximent size on a piece of paper on top of the car, than I cut out the cover from a piece of Evergreen styrene, using the tracing as a template. Once done I filed and sanded to the finished shape. I used a small pliers to bend down the edges to get the "curve" I wanted so as to give the proper fit. Than, I cut out another piece of plastic just a little bit smaller and glued it over the first one. I applied Tamiya putty arounf the edges and once dry, sanded it smooth to give the boot a rounded side. Two was fine for my car, but you could add a third and even a forth layer of boot if you wanted more height.

I wanted a smooth finish on my boot but you could add texture by appling either masking tape or using the tissue paper technique mentioned above. I have used that before, over a white glue base and it worked fine. Hopefully, the link below will take you to the Chevy where you can see the finished boot on the car. If not, just look at the underglass section, go down a few topics and you will find it.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14500

• 4 weeks later...