Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harbor Freight. WOW! Steppin up.

BaBaBooey

6 hours ago, Deuces said:

That new icon box goes for $9000.00 scheckles... Sorry! Way out of my league.... ?

I think $9000.00 isn't too off from being in line for pro mechanics... would be in the running if I was looking. For home use, no. Far above my pay grade for home use.

Don

6 hours ago, BaBaBooey said:

The big thing I've been noticing is that people are getting the tool truck boxes for about the same price as HF. But, once you factor in interest, its right back up to the full MSRP. HF having in house financing and "supposedly" offering interest free on purchases over a certain amount changes things also.

Then comes the warranty. Tool truck tools are original purchaser only. In some cases, depending on your tool truck buddy, the "original purchaser" thing is over looked. Yes, you can get the big names used at relatively average Joe prices. But again, the warranty comes into play. 

I've had my hands on a few of this Icon brand stuff. And to me, I'm no expert, but it feels just as good as the big names. Ive watch some YouTube videos of comparison tests and yes the big names faired a bit better, but, Icon held it's own. The Earthquake line of air tools, I've seen it with my own eyes. The Earthquake 1 inch drive worked right on past the Ingersoll Rand. We bought an Ingersoll Rand 3 months before the Earthquake. That was 2 years ago, or so. The Ingersoll has been rebuilt and replaced, while the Earthquake still works like a champ.

I'm gonna give them a shot. For what I do with my tools, I'm willing to try. 

Have to say, in 40+ years of being a mechanic and buying off the trucks, I've never been refused warranty for not being the original purchaser, never heard of that ever happening to anyone. I don't know where to get Icon tools in Canada, would be willing to try some to see how they work. Wouldn't be the first time I was a lab rat with tools, and I would get to buy some shiny new tools!!!

Don

All I can say is the quality of ALL of the big brand name tools has declined considerably over the last 15-20 years.

The most breakage was with the most expensive of them, Snap off er on!

Then if the tool man knew you had warranty he would avoid you and you had to literally chase him down!LOL

The Mac dealer you had to fight with and call corporate to get something warrantied.

Craftsman was just take it in and get it exchanged but god help you if you lost a wrench of socket because they would kill you with a replacement costs for a single item!

I have found that most rounded bolts/nuts were more because of someones misuse of the tools rather than being caused by the tool itself!

Local garage here with 4 full time and two part time mechanics furnished a tool box and tools for each of his mechanics (they share specialty tools) and he has mainly tools from Auto Zone and Harbor Freight. Just asked him how that has worked and he says that he has not seen any difference in failure of these tools and the name brands that he and his original two mechanics used in the 30 years past.

Just says that there are those who are brand loyal and will always be and others that see a tool as a tool.

Not talking the old cheap Taiwan tools with no warranty here.LOL

The best sockets I have in my box though are Thorsen that I bought over 50 years ago at K Mart! Never broke a one and even used them with an impact at times! A little chrome peeling is about all that ever happened with them!

44 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

All I can say is the quality of ALL of the big brand name tools has declined considerably over the last 15-20 years.

Then if the tool man knew you had warranty he would avoid you and you had to literally chase him down!LOL

The Mac dealer you had to fight with and call corporate to get something warrantied.

Craftsman was just take it in and get it exchanged but god help you if you lost a wrench of socket because they would kill you with a replacement costs for a single item!

I have found that most rounded bolts/nuts were more because of someones misuse of the tools rather than being caused by the tool itself!

Local garage here with 4 full time and two part time mechanics furnished a tool box and tools for each of his mechanics (they share specialty tools) and he has mainly tools from Auto Zone and Harbor Freight. Just asked him how that has worked and he says that he has not seen any difference in failure of these tools and the name brands that he and his original two mechanics used in the 30 years past.

Just says that there are those who are brand loyal and will always be and others that see a tool as a tool.

Not talking the old cheap Taiwan tools with no warranty here.LOL

The best sockets I have in my box though are Thorsen that I bought over 50 years ago at K Mart! Never broke a one and even used them with an impact at times! A little chrome peeling is about all that ever happened with them!

Don't see a lot of breakage with the 3 big companies, happens, not no big increase in it. Sounds like you need new tool truck guys. We get all three, Snapon, MAC, Matco. All of them are in every week, warranty no issue, fair, get what you need, great stock, will keep abreast of new stuff. Two were techs themselves, so they understand. Some stuff being warrantied, they will look at you funny because they know how it broke...will warranty anyway. Brand loyal... yeah, I am, but not blindly brand loyal. I know what works for me.

Don

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

...The most breakage was with the most expensive of them, Snap off er on!

The Mac dealer you had to fight with and call corporate to get something warrantied...

You really have me curious now. Where were you a professional mechanic, and for how long?

40 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

Don't see a lot of breakage with the 3 big companies, happens, not no big increase in it. We get all three, Snapon, MAC, Matco. All of them are in every week, warranty no issue, fair, get what you need, great stock, will keep abreast of new stuff. Two were techs themselves, so they understand. Some stuff being warrantied, they will look at you funny because they know how it broke...will warranty anyway.

That was pretty much my experience over 50 years in the business. The last SnapOn guy we had wasn't great, but he was retiring and was trying to coast out the door on as little effort as possible. His replacement is like the rest of the good ones.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

I once worked in a shop early in my career where most of the guys spent as little as possible on their tools and a visit from the MAC dealer was sporadic.  Being the tool slut that I am, I was the exception when it came to buying. He often made it a point to drop in or call just to see if I needed anything, even warranty. He didn't bother with the non-buyers. 

That was the ONLY place where the tool guys were hit and miss, and that was 30 some-odd years ago.

My good friend, who also happens to be my last Snap-On dealer, explains his philosophy: "You spend money with me, I look after you, because I want you to keep spending money on my truck." Simple, direct and easy to understand. I think I put his kids through college... ;)

12 hours ago, restoman said:

I once worked in a shop early in my career where most of the guys spent as little as possible on their tools and a visit from the MAC dealer was sporadic.  Being the tool slut that I am, I was the exception when it came to buying. He often made it a point to drop in or call just to see if I needed anything, even warranty. He didn't bother with the non-buyers. 

That was the ONLY place where the tool guys were hit and miss, and that was 30 some-odd years ago.

My good friend, who also happens to be my last Snap-On dealer, explains his philosophy: "You spend money with me, I look after you, because I want you to keep spending money on my truck." Simple, direct and easy to understand. I think I put his kids through college... ;)

Unfortunately not all dealers are that dedicated.

Here they came and went pretty regular.

The best Snap on dealer hey had here owned his own repair shop and ran his tool route to boot. Then snapon divided his area up with two others and made it no longer profitables for the guy so he gave it up and it was all down hill from there.

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You really have me curious now. Where were you a professional mechanic, and for how long?

Yes on and off over 25 years combined including diesel mechanic certified by CAT!

Had over 3000 dollars worth of tools and boxes stolen in the 1970's after a shop I worked at closed and locked us all out.

Edited by OldTrucker

16 hours ago, restoman said:

Funny how that works. I get along with all three guys as do most of our techs. There's always a few (in our shop, one guy) that has always badmouthed the tool guys,  but if you spent an hour talking to "whine and Jeez" you would know where the problem really was....seen that throughout the trade and in all other aspects in life.

Don