Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Melrose Missile S/S

jjsipes

I am working on getting things together for the Moebius 1965 Melrose Missile Super Stock kit. Was wondering if anybody had an idea for the interior color? Thought I had seen Gold for the interior but I am not sure where or if I had seen it now. If it was, was it the stock door panels that looked like the attached photo or were they the stripped down door panels like the A990 cars? Guess the same question for the Golden Commando car as well.

2019-10-02 (1).png

2019-10-02.png

Hi Jason, the photo you show is for sure a Sport Fury interior, a '65 model.  The 64's had a nicer dashboard though.  As far as I know, the A990 cars had either beige or red interiors, the panels being very clean, smooth and without any fanciness.

I had many, many hours and ride time in a red 64 Sport Fury, back in the day.  Good luck with your project.

So according to the book "Maximum Performance  Mopar Super Stock Drag Racing" the Winternationals had 4 - 2% A/FX cars. States that they were hard tops with the Tan L1T Suoer Stock interiors installed from the donor sedans. Guess the interior panels are incorrect in the kit? 

20191002_202134.jpg

Ive read elsewhere long ago that the 1965 MM car was a pieced together car. Odds are the interior was a mixture of parts. So I have no idea which is 'correct' for this car

BUT a 1965 A990 car would have this interior. Problem is, the A990 was a sedan , where as the MM car was a 2 door hardtop

PS< Tamiyas Champagne gold is a very good match for this color

fl0117-269785_4@2x.jpg?1484510303000

Edited by gtx6970

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Ive read elsewhere long ago that the 1965 MM car was a pieced together car. Odds are the interior was a mixture of parts. So I have no idea which is 'correct' for this car

BUT a 1965 A990 car would have this interior. Problem is, the A990 was a sedan , where as the MM car was a 2 door hardtop

PS< Tamiyas Champagne gold is a very good match for this color

fl0117-269785_4@2x.jpg?1484510303000

That Tamiya Champagne Gold is what I have been using for my interiors. I can find all kinds of pictures of the AWB but not many of the 2% car. I have read it only ran the 1 race I believe before being converted.

1 hour ago, jjsipes said:

That Tamiya Champagne Gold is what I have been using for my interiors. I can find all kinds of pictures of the AWB but not many of the 2% car. I have read it only ran the 1 race I believe before being converted.

Best I can remember. I believe you are correct. , And yes, Pictures of the SS car are far and few between .

I remember reading years ago this car was a Hodge Podge or parts sp to speak  and was NOT amblewagon converted as the other AFX cars were.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:39 PM, Mike Williams said:

Hi Jason, the photo you show is for sure a Sport Fury interior, a '65 model.  The 64's had a nicer dashboard though.  As far as I know, the A990 cars had either beige or red interiors, the panels being very clean, smooth and without any fanciness.

I had many, many hours and ride time in a red 64 Sport Fury, back in the day.  Good luck with your project.

That is a 65 Satellite interior. You can tell by the instrument cluster. Fury became a bigger car starting in 65