Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car ID???

Howard Cohen

I cannot remember what this blue slot car was called in 24th scale. I have the 12th scale static kit but this is not quite the same. Can anyone help me with the name, etc.? Thanks

I also have this one from Classic. Both came from a collector who said he never raced them, just put them on a test track to see if they worked and they do. 

IMG_2567[1].JPG

IMG_2568[1].JPG

IMG_2569[1].JPG

IMG_2570[1].JPG

IMG_2571[1].JPG

IMG_2572[1].JPG

The red one sort of resembles a Bill Thomas Cheetah.  It has the basic body shape and proportions.  It was probably a knockoff without permission to use the design and was changed just enough to make it legal.  As for the blue one, I do not have a clue, does not look familiar at all.  I used to race slots in the 60's and the hot ticket then was the Manta Ray.

17 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

The red one sort of resembles a Bill Thomas Cheetah.  It has the basic body shape and proportions.  It was probably a knockoff without permission to use the design and was changed just enough to make it legal.  As for the blue one, I do not have a clue, does not look familiar at all.  I used to race slots in the 60's and the hot ticket then was the Manta Ray.

The red one I found listed and called 'Mantaray', slight difference from the Dean Jeffries Manta Ray. 

For those of you left in suspense, the blue slot car in Howard's post is an MPC Dyno SC100, exclusively made for Sears stores by MPC.

Lindberg made a lookalike 1/12 scale model kit originally released as the "GT-200", and other names over the years.

Edited by jokar124

21 minutes ago, jokar124 said:

For those of you left in suspense, the blue slot car in Howard's post is an MPC Dyno SC100, exclusively made for Sears stores by MPC.

Lindberg made a lookalike 1/12 scale model kit originally released as the "GT-200", and other names over the years.

Thought I'd seen that somewhere before, but couldn't pin a name to it. This guy has a whole page dedicated to it: http://jimsoldtoys.blogspot.com/2011/10/lindberg-gt-200-model-kit.html

14 hours ago, jokar124 said:

Thanks! I KNEW I'd seen the thing before but couldn't quite place it. Thought for a while it might have been a Starbird creation.