Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Hemi Challenger R/T

Bills72sj

This model was a difficult endeavor. The body was a resin copy that had a few of resin's typical issues, namely warping and thickness variances. It also was cast without an engine compartment or cowl. I used an AMT Yankee Challenge kit as a donor. With a lot of trimming, most all of the parts fit together. One of the challenges was having no grille or headlight frames. The 1970 parts are way too different to use so, I made them from scratch. The "floating" grille sections turned out so-so, but they do make it look like a 71 at least. The tail lights were drop in with minor trimming. (I think) the fake side scoops were sourced from Drag City Casting. The rear "Go Wing" came from an AMT 71 Duster Kit. The Hemi came from one of my Challenger kits or parts box (it has been a long time). The R/T stripes came from an ebay vendor. Too bad the artwork for the letters was slanted WRONG on the drivers side. (no way to fix it either). I would normally detail paint the rally wheels but after all the other battles, I just wasn't up to it. The first shaker hood I painted and decaled was warped so I tried to fix it with heat. BAD move. I turned it into a potato chip. Fortunately Will, from DPMCC, came to my rescue and sent me a replacement. THANKS WILL!

LF1.JPG

Rear 1.JPG

RR1.JPG

Front 1.JPG

Engine.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
misspelling

I did one not long ago.  Hart's Parts makes a good conversion from AMT kits.  My grill got damaged, but it still looks good.   The decals I think were Phoenix, but I can't remember.  Over all the car came out good, but the tail lights will always be off.  The tail of a 71 is just too different from a 70 to do a good conversion.

47610308442_476ba38cc0_k.jpgSAM_0599 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

46939150744_7db897ec05_k.jpgSAM_0601 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr