Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another red Revell 356b coupe

Rodent

I too am working on the Revell of Germany 1/16 356B coupe. I haven't built a Porsche since the original Revell 914 in what, 1971? Also don't build larger scales, but I liked the way HPIGuy's build looked. My LHS didn't have it (now they do), and the mail order giants were out of stock as well. Got mine on eBay from Burbank's House of Hobbies in SoCal. Great seller BTW, and I like that I am supporting  an LHS, even if they aren't my LHS.

As drodg said, the engine is a bit blobular. I don't think I am going to go too far to change that. I still have to detail paint the engine tin and install it with the generator and air cleaners. The model sits a tiny bit low in the front which restricts the movement of the steerable wheels. The tires rub on the inner wheelhouses. Mine is all painted which causes issues with the snap together aspect, but it's easy enough to clean out the joining areas. A bit of mine is glued because it is more solid that way.

Color is Testor's Italian Red over Tamiya pink primer with wet look clear. That is pretty much the same as the molded red color. I have been having trouble with roughness in the red and clear, and wound up stripping the bumpers. I need to do a little color sanding and polishing of the body. My research showed that the 356B coupe circa 1960 could have a red, black, or grey interior with red paint. Not 100% sure if that is true, but I decided to go with grey. Tamiya AS28 and TS48. Used different blacks and metallics on other parts. Was fairly happy with Metalizer aluminum on the transaxle, and Magnesium on the engine. After it dried, the engine got a wash of The Detailer to make the cooling fins stand out.

Some sadistic person at R.O.G. though it was necessary to have a Porsche crest on the shift knob. I managed to get the decal in place fairly easily, but was sweating the whole time.

Wish I had better pictures,  but the sun is so low in the sky it makes long shadows any time of the day now. Someday I will make a photo booth.

IMG_20191117_140451.jpg

IMG_20191117_140425.jpg

IMG_20191117_140638.jpg

IMG_20191117_140546.jpg

Great to see you working on this model too.  I did my interior in tan because I really like the build on the video that you mentioned.  I painted the dash red last night and moving forward .   I have had also some issues with fitting with the interior panels etc after I painted them.  Good luck and yours looks good!  Btw I had a real issue with thePorsche crest on the shift lever!  Are we kidding?  

Edited by drodg