Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts i.d. question - do you recognize this oil breather?

Greetings and thanks for the interest expressed in questions posed in the past...

Isolating assemblies and subassemblies for a project, does anyone recognize the oil breathers in use on this particular topic, and do they exist on a tool I can reach for?  I'm thinking that they might be something done by Mickey Thompson, and that some drag racing or land speed record car in 1:25th would offer up such.  My knowledge of period speed equipment is limited, hence the guiding influence of others is sought!  

O.K.  - look not so much at the valve covers or near the water inlet for the breathers, but rather atop the intake across the lifter valley to see two of the breathers of which I speak.  Whaddya think?  

1295910787_1969RKEJavelintunnelraminstallationK.LudvigsenBridgehampton.jpg.adecf860a25f186aaefabec63997b54c.jpg

The image was captured by Karl Ludvigsen at Bridgehampton, NY in '69, the topic a same-year RKE/JRT Trans-Am Javelin again...

Kind thanks for reading this post...

Mike K./Swede70

Though I don't recognize those specific parts, they appear to be similar to units made by Offenhauser, Stelling, Cal Custom, Speedway, Eelco, Moon, and many others.

None of those I've looked at have what appear to be staggered/split fins in your photo, though.

The Olds engine in the original Revell Stone-Woods-Cook Willys has 4 breathers that are close enough for a starting point.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I found these breathers on M/T valve covers, and they look a LOT like your photo...

image.png.7a8ee8632886284712662890c310596e.png

But most of the M/T breathers I've ever seen look like this...

image.png.c9aa985d2fbd191351c5a260ce76f067.png   or this...  image.png.b7c129e792c99fc41694bb41318c2a72.png

Thanks for your effort and insight shared on my behalf.  Some period shots of the car reveal quite a bit of oil residue spread about under hood, while with a strictly sealed system incorporating a vent system with a stand alone 'puke tank' as was (almost) standard in the series, I doubt this would have been an issue.  I'll have to cut apart my intake consistent with clearing space between and beneath the intake runners and likely scratch build flanges, but if the design of the breathers is distinct enough and chrome-plated besides, then maybe it's worth the time and trouble to reproduce the detail.  I appreciate the help, while again it seems how it is I write draws in the trolls...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

8 hours ago, swede70 said:

it seems how it is I write draws in the trolls..

No, your composition is fine, as evidenced by the reply from Bill, someone knowledgeable and legitimately interested in helping. 97 times out of 100, those who don't list their full name and location per the forum requirements speaks volumes about their intentions, so just ignore them.

Back to the engine in question, I was a bit surprised to see a tunnel ram style intake manifold, but if the car is running at high rpm most of the time, it does make sense.

Not exactly a great image, but here are the valve cover breathers Bill mentioned:

RevellSWC41Willys2.jpg.ca367f3dd6cc8fd2a1b92583628a6ad2.jpg

Thanks - I have kits and/or incomplete kit targets to seek out.  In particular, I really appreciate the steadying influence for kind thoughts expressed and good will evidenced.  

The topics I choose tend to be peculiar, but as a positive the chance is afforded to make them my own, ably assisted by those with greater knowledge and experience than I can bring to bear upon matters.  Although often hard pressed to afford value in turn, it would leave me appalled to come back to a thread and notice anything that could be construed as snark if you will penned by my own hand.  While all are not demonstrably capable of such, we each must try to model what is right and dignified about that which we hold dear.  

Again - know that I appreciate was has been availed to me past and present.  I value the scene and the friendships formed here very much... 

Mike K./Swede70