Model Cars Magazine Forum

bodykit for monza 2+2

G'day ppl.

Hope someone out there can help me.

I have a Chevy Monza 2+2 that I'm missing part of the wide body bodykit. I'm don't know what kit this is and can't seem to find info on it anywhere (well so far at least).

I have the back driver's side (for you guys in the states that is) but the passenger side one has vanished somewhere.

How would I best copy/make one for the other side. I have been thinking about this for the past few weeks or so. Everything I have thought of will only copy the one that I already have, but I want the opposite.

Any thoughts from any of the guru's out there??

No pics of the part that I want to replicate as the camera has flat batteries and need to recharge them.

Is this the kit your looking for?

904c_1.jpg

or this one...

c7f5_1.jpg

or maybe thisun.....

85b5_3.jpg

These mice be over at Gregg's competitor site.....Evulbay..... :lol:

here's hopin' I don't get busted fer helping a fellow modeler out in his hunt for baby mice..... :lol:

It's that style Monza but I don't think it's any of them though.

It has a similar wide body look to the second one, but the front end on mine doesn't have the front spoiler like that.

I've never seen the box as the car came to me complete, but has since had some basic mods done. I'm now looking at making it a "race" version again.

It's fairly bright yellow plastic if that helps to identify it.

Is it the IMSA body race car that you're thinking of? It would have had box flares on the car and also a slightly raised cowling on the hood. I forgot who made the kit.

That would be this one, by Revell. A poor kit by any standard. The fender flares were molded in, so I don't think he means this one.

100_0590.jpg

The MPC kit was called the "Street Spyder" and is most likely what you have because the box art only shows a small air dam up front.

I have the box but it was purchased in the early 90's with a Revell '55 Nomad (Still there) in it from a swap-meet.

imsamonza-vi.jpg

But I don't have the parts you need.

Sorry.

That IMSA thing was real popular back in the 70's. I can remember a lot of guys making their own fenders from evergreen sheet plastic. Auto World even had someone's Capri featured inside. That car really inspired me....

Anyone remember that?

Edited by Jairus

Thanks everyone. The Longshot and the Street Spyder have the fenders that mine has.

What would be the best way to make one if I can't get the part that I'm after? Been trying to think of how to make a mould using the other one but my brain keeps coming up with ways to make the one that I have and not the opposite.

That should not be too difficult. If you don't have any sheet styrene, get some! You could bring the piece you want to copy, to your hobby shop, to compare the thickness of the styrene. Then it's just a matter of copying the pieces. Make paper templates that you transfer to the styrene. Remember to reverse them for the other side. It's a square box shape basically, so just take your time, and you'll get it done. Why not post some pics of your work?!

Edited by Modellpularn

That should not be too difficult. If you don't have any sheet styrene, get some! You could bring the piece you want to copy, to your hobby shop, to compare the thickness of the styrene. Then it's just a matter of copying the pieces. Make paper templates that you transfer to the styrene. Remember to reverse them for the other side. It's a square box shape basically, so just take your time, and you'll get it done. Why not post some pics of your work?!

Thanks for the tips. I've never scratchbuilt anything before. Well, not with any realism anyway. I'm taking pics as I go with my builds recently, but still waiting for one that I'm fully happy with before I post. I like the how they turn out to look at, but the camera seems to find all the flaws in the paint etc. As soon as I get some good pics, you will see them.

• 2 weeks later...