Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos Baker Olds

DoctorLarry

As many have pointed out, The Salvinos Olds has a few minor errors. A great build up was featured In Scale Auto magazine, and he noted wrong chassis, lack of detail in the engine, body lines etc. I bought 1 and got another for Christmas and since I can't leave well enough alone, I thought I could tweak things a bit. Rhine Built's web site has 20 or so photos of the restoration of the Baker Olds  and so it is a fantastic reference source. I figured  I would start with the chassis. It should have a full frame, a Galaxie front clip, stock floor pans and a Chevy truck arm rear suspension. A derelict 66 GTO donated the floor pans and the trusty T Bird will donate the truck arms. The rear kick up is also all wrong so I cut it out and will rebuild it. Cage is probably wrong too so it will get tweaked as well. This photo shows the rear kickup and battery box in the real car. The second one shows the stock floor pans when they got the car shell in.

Baker-442-003.jpg

Baker-resto.-003.jpg

baker chassis 7.jpg

baker chassis 1.jpg

baker chassis 3.jpg

baker chassis 4.jpg

baker chassis 5.jpg

baker chassis 6.jpg

Chassis length is still stock. I just cut the floor pans out and the rear kickup. I will need some more room for the truck arms but will cut that out later. I haven't decided if I will graft the T Bird front frame on yet or use the Salvino's one.  It is less bothersome than the rear suspension so I may confine the mods to floors and rear suspension.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:27 PM, DoctorLarry said:

As many have pointed out, The Salvinos Olds has a few minor errors.

That's.... certainly putting it diplomatically.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I'm looking forward to seeing make a silk purse out of it. :) 

I always try to soften the blow, Chuck! I re-did the kickup area and glued the two chassis halves together (instructions say not to do that) The truck arm is sitting approximately where it should. I need to work on the floor pans a little and check ride height. Then box the "frame" area around the perimeter and body work the area. Then check spring and double shock placement.

baker chassis 8.jpg

baker chassis 9.jpg

baker chassis 10.jpg

baker chassis 11.jpg

Did some more work on this. The real car has a tunnel mount for the shifter. Added that. The roll cage on the 1-1 has no middle brace and has a diagonal running bottom to top so I cut out the middle brace and added that. I added a mounting area and tunneled the floor pans for the truck arm so it sits right. Finished the kickup. On the real car the puke tank for the radiator is on the firewall. That came from the T Bird. There is also a sheet of aluminum covering things on the driver's side. I added that as well. The kit seat is the wrong style and way too tall for the real car. I found one in the parts box. I also added the floor brace to the cage that runs over the trans tunnel. On the real car the battery mounts behind the driver seat so I need a box there for the battery. The floor pans, cage and front frame are ready for primer.

Baker-resto.-005.jpg

baker-resto-012.jpg

baker firewall.jpg

Baker lower floor.jpg

Baker truck arm.jpg

baker upper floor.jpg

baker firewall.jpg

baker-resto-007.jpg

Got the frame and cage done. Rear suspension is set. I need some tweaking on the front end and it will be done. The body needs character lines put in but that is similar to the Century project (the real cars used the same doors). However, the engine in the kit is beyond lame. It has zero detail and the transmission looks like scale wise it came out of a dump truck. So I am going to use the engine out of an AMT 90's NASCAR Cutlass. It has great detail and it can be easily wired and plumbed.

salvino engine.jpg

Body work is almost done. New body lines in the lower body in place along with the upper body lines. I put some flares into the existing wheel wells and just need to finish them and it is ready for paint. Basic frame assembly is doe using the Salvino's "upgrade kit". Looks better than the torsion bar setup. Rear end is from the TBird. Seat is parts box. I need to add the rear shocks yet. Plumbing on the rear is pretty much done. Now on to wiring and plumbing the rest, installing the cage and engine.

Modified Salvinos Body.jpg

Salvinos Lower Chassis.jpg

Salvinos Modified Front Suspension.jpg

Plumbed rear end.jpg

salvinos Upper Chassis.jpg

On 3/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, DoctorLarry said:

Spring break is a lovely thing. Started on the body of the Olds. It needs a body line 1/2" up from the rocker and then along the top edges of the sides. I started with .015X.100 Evergreen and then Tamiya white putty.

salvino body mods.jpg

Hey I’ve done that one before too!! Makes a huge improvement in the way this thing looks

• 2 weeks later...

Call it "COVID Progress". Chassis work is almost complete. Body is decaled, cleared. Need to do windows, grille, bumpers, spoiler. A few chassis parts like the radiator shroud and fan. Getting almost done. I ordered a Salvinos Monte Carlo. It's in the queue.

baker model chassis 2.JPG

baker model chassis 3.JPG

baker model chassis 4.JPG

baker model chassis 6.JPG

baker model chassis 7.JPG

baker model chassis 8.JPG