Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Semi wheels on a 1;25 Dually question ?

There are plenty of examples out there of people using both the wheels and tires from 1/32 semi kits on their 1/25 dually pickup kits. I’ve never measured them, but they seem to look pretty close to 16” wheels in 1/25 scale. 

However, they are 10 lug/hole aluminum wheels, and 16” wheels are usually 8 lug/hole wheels, even the fancy covers that go over the typical plain 16” one ton 5 hole steel wheels. 

Unless you’re not picky about it, there are nice aftermarket wheels for duallys. Scenes Unlimited has several excellent varieties.

Edited by vincen47

7 hours ago, vincen47 said:

However, they are 10 lug/hole aluminum wheels, and 16” wheels are usually 8 lug/hole wheels, even the fancy covers that go over the typical plain 16” one ton 5 hole steel wheels. 

If I remember correctly, since most of the one tons we have available are older (HINT HINT WHOEVER FROM THE MODEL COMPANIES ARE READING THIS!!) trucks from the 90s, I think the Super Duty Ford from that era that equates to the F450s and F550s of today may have been available with 10 lug axles. I'm almost certain a 1990 FSuperDuty rollback I drove about 20 years ago had 10 lug axles on it, but I'm not 100% sure, but sitting at a stop light a few weeks ago noticed a new Ram 5500 rollback did have 10 lugs on it. 

As for customs, which it seems most most people want to use semi wheels on duallys, even 1/25th scale wheels on the pickups for the big wheel and rubber band tire and ground scrapping looks, the aftermarket in the 1:1 world have conversions to convert 8 lug to 10 lug, so no matter the plan the lug pattern wouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks for the info guys.

It was more custom I was looking for. Anybody got pics of what custom wheels you have used or a side by side comparison with 1/32 vs 1/25 wheels ?

I'm looking to find something to use on the AMT Chevy Dually Custom 3500 kit.

Edited by 57peppershaker

On 3/7/2020 at 11:01 PM, highway said:

If I remember correctly, since most of the one tons we have available are older (HINT HINT WHOEVER FROM THE MODEL COMPANIES ARE READING THIS!!) trucks from the 90s, I think the Super Duty Ford from that era that equates to the F450s and F550s of today may have been available with 10 lug axles. I'm almost certain a 1990 FSuperDuty rollback I drove about 20 years ago had 10 lug axles on it, but I'm not 100% sure, but sitting at a stop light a few weeks ago noticed a new Ram 5500 rollback did have 10 lugs on

You are correct. The old F-Super Duty from the late 80s/early 90s (up to 1997) had 10 lug wheels, a beam axle up front and were only available in 4x2, although companies like Quigley and Marmon-Herrington offered aftermarket 4x4 conversions. Today's 4x2 F-450 and larger also use a solid front axle, but it's a tube that allows use of the same suspension as a 4x4 truck, where the 4x2 F-250 and F-350 are still getting by with the Twin I-Beam. There was a period of time in the early/mid 2000s where Ford F-450 and F-550 had what's commonly called a "wide 8" pattern. 8 lug wheels, but bigger lug nuts and studs than an F-350. The standard Super Duty wheel pattern since '99 has been 8x170mm, and the F-450/550 are 8x225mm and have 19.5" wheels like a medium duty. I don't know when the changeover occurred, but today's F-450s and up have a 10 lug pattern. As you also mentioned there are kits and wheel spacers out there to adapt 1 ton lug patterns *(8x170 and 8x6.5") to the 10 lug hub pilot semi wheels.