Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sad News... Bob Paeth

Oh, this is sad news. I'm not sure if I did meet him at the Western Nationals NNL in '99.... But anyway, he will be missed as he was a great model builder! I recall a story he told on this forum, about the box art for the '57 Nomad - the 1:1 one from 1968 or so, with the bronze paint and flames. They needed chrome wheels for the box art car, and took pics of some other car with chrome reverse wheels, but those pics were black and white, and then somehow managed to cut and paste the oldfashioned way for a very cool looking '57 Nomad with chrome wheels. I have that kit, and looked at it, and you cannot see any flaw on that car! That's one of the coolest box art I know, and with Mr Paeth's story, makes it even cooler....

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I think Revell should honor him in a special way! A reissue of that '57 Nomad kit for example....

Edited by Modellpularn

Although I never had the pleasure of a conversation with Bob, I certainly knew of his work. It is a sad day, for sure.

I guess in some ways, this is a testament to the greatness of our hobby….We all build different styles of models, with passionate disagreements, but when one of us leaves this world (or is about to) we all feel like a brother has left us. For all of our disagreements, we all are as one. I am sure that Bob will leave us knowing that he had many friends from all over this world who appreciated him for his knowledge, friendship and a shared love of our hobby. Have a smooth ride, brother.

Sad news for all of us, and a shock when Jan called me.

Bob and I have been friends for years, and belong to the same club. We only live a few miles apart, and just had breakfast together a week ago. What a joy to have known him all this time.

I am going to the hospital in the morning to say good bye to my friend.

I found this board with a search for information on My Friend Bob Paeth. I never met Bob but had many talks over the phone with him. He is a great person and a Loved man. This is a sad year. I wish I could have seen him but I live so far away. I see it as, He is your friend for life if he said one word to you. He will be missed and will always be loved.

Hot Rod Hawk...

Hello All. I am with another online model site. One of the members posted a link to this thread and I couldn't believe it. I have known of Bob since I was a small boy. 11 or 12 years old. I meant him then by reading all he wrote in Model car Mags. I have known Bob personally for 5 or 6 years. It is 11:45 am pdt here. I just had a phone call form a fellow modeler. He said that Bob has not past yet but things don't look good. I have had dinner with him and Jan many times. I am really tore up by this news. Bob is a one of a kind person. This picture was taken in his model room about 2004 or 5.

bs1-vi.jpg

Here is a link to some pictures I took in his model room. It shows some of his builds. I always loved the floating car.

Visit My Website

My thoughts and prayers have been with him all day.

I just got off the phone with Ron Martinolich, president of the SABA club in Portland, and the news has not changed. Unfortunately it's just a matter of time before the good lord takes Bob home. Bob was a pioneer in this hooby, to say the least, and moreover than that he was a great friend and he will be sorely missed by many.

I had the rare privilege of knowing Bob firsthand for six years while my wife and I lived in Portland. When we first moved there and became a part of the SABA club I thought it was great to finally meet one of the well known names in modeling history that I had read about for so many years prior. I was like a kid in a candy store. It was like meeting a celebrity. I have many fond memories of the short time that I knew Bob. From the club meetings where everyone loved to pick on him because Bob loved to talk and if he got going on a subject it would be 20 to 30 minutes before he was finished. My first trip to GSL in Salt Lake was spent with Bob, in a car, for twelve hours. You get to know a lot about someone when you spend 12 hours in a car with just the two of you. He was kind enough to introduce me to a number of other greats in the modeling community that I had only read about up until that time.

The more I think about it the sadder I get, but I can rejoice in knowing that Bob is going to a far better place.

Now if no one minds I would like to share a few pics. of Bob in and around the hobby that he loved so dearly.

Bob and Ron with Miss Oregon from the 2007 Portland Roadster show.

DSC03214-vi.jpg

Bob with his "Klingon Cruiser" award from last years GSL

DSC04118-vi.jpg

Bob, at one of the club meetings.

DSC03465-vi.jpg

Bob, I say to you, it was my honor to have known you and I will miss you dearly. Godspeed, my friend.

Hey Wayne <_<

How are ya my friend? :D

Thanks for posting the pictures. I made a glossy copy of the 2nd one with me next to Bob and him getting his KLINGON award at the last GSL.

That year he and I drove home together, like you and he did a time or two before.

I went to the hospital to see him early this morning. He woke up and smiled and waved, but his time is short.

The nurse said if he stayed stable, he may be able to go home today and be with his family. A huge loss to the hobby, but a wonderful friend to all.

Your truely one of the GREATS BOB. We love you and we'll miss you- :)

I went to the hospital to see him early this morning. He woke up and smiled and waved, but his time is short.

The nurse said if he stayed stable, he may be able to go home today and be with his family. A huge loss to the hobby, but a wonderful friend to all.

Your truely one of the GREATS BOB. We love you and we'll miss you- :)

Dave...

thanks for going to see Bob..

I am sure he knows that alot of people are thinking their best for him.

Dwayne

I've never met Bob, except perhaps in a forum thread or two and he always had fine things to say about everybody. Prior to the internet, I saw his name in the magazines frequently. I have also seen how well respected and well thought of he was, by everyone in this hobby. It is sad to lose someone like him in a hobby as small as ours. However it was GREAT to have someone like that among us as long as we did. It's from fellows like Bob Paeth that the rest of us will learn to be ambassadors of this hobby the way that he was.

I recommend that someone start a Bob Paeth tribute thread where people can post their photo's of him and photos of his work. That way the folks that did not know him, can know him though his work.

To Jan and the rest of the family, my prayers are with you. Bob I will miss you every time I smell burning plastic or hear the term M.E.K.

I met Bob through SABA in Portland Oregon around 1990. He is a true ambassador to the hobby. He encouraged me (and many others I'm sure)to enter the GSLMCC at a time I thought that kind of competition was only for the elite of the hobby. I spent many hours at model shows and club meetings laughing both at Bob's masterfully woven stories and at his expense, as has been mentioned previously here, he could weave for long periods of time.

He would tell of traveling to Harrah's in the Revell years, when he had 'carte blanche' access to the cars. When a new security guard was on the floor he would jump into some priceless car and wait to be confronted. He would tell of riding his motor scooter around the SF bay area dealerships to pick up new car brochures when he was in his teens. How he started the model car contest at the Portland Roadster Show which ultimatly lead to the founding of SABA, early club meetings included the cutting out of $1 coupons to help finance the club. How he blew the whistle on AMT for only awarding AMT kits in a contest, a move that lead to a job at Revell.

And many stories about Revell, I hope someone wrote them down.

There is only one Bob Paeth and he will be greatly missed.