Model Cars Magazine Forum

RestoMod -Where to Start?

Hello all, long time lurker, occasional poster here. I'm 45 and wanting to do something out of the ordinary (for myself) annd try and create something like a show car I saw. Specifically, this one:

C1un5afXAAAGAbw.jpg

fc85d5c38cac300f06d77547ddb668fc.jpg1970-Dodge-Charger-Restomod-Project-Full

I'd LOVE your suggestions on how to approach a few elements of the build, since I'm just a box-stock guy. 

1. Looks like this would be built off the Revell 2in1 68 Charger Kit - with a lot of body work like smoothing out the bumpers, etc. I feel pretty confident in doing that.

2. How do you figure out the cuts needed to chop the roof? Would I need a second kit to use as a donor to fill sections? 

3. Similarly, do I need to find a way to trim the glass after a chop?

4. To me, the low profile tires and rims make the car. I feel like I can figure out how to lower the car but how do I find aftermarket wheel/tires that are the right size? I'm worried about anything I find looking small in those wheel wells.I guess the first question is where can I find the right "style" of rim and tire (it doesn't have match perfectly, but something kind of like this Pegasus has some options but nothing too radical. Aoshima has some too but I'm worried theyl be small. .) and 2. How can I be sure they are big enough? 

5. Are there resources for things like photo etched grills? 

6. Can you get tire decals like thrones on these tires?

7. How does one achieve that matte paint finish? 

Your input is greatly appreciated! I'd surely love to hear your insights.

Best, Rob

7 minutes ago, dreadpyrat said:

1. Looks like this would be built off the Revell 2in1 68 Charger Kit - with a lot of body work like smoothing out the bumpers, etc. I feel pretty confident in doing that.

2. How do you figure out the cuts needed to chop the roof? Would I need a second kit to use as a donor to fill sections? 

1) Looks like a '70 Charger, so maybe start with the Revell 1/25 '70 Dodge Charger R/T kit:

newitem-2347.jpg.03c2e60d6b14e1144fa9baccf1ff03f4.jpg

2) Oddly enough, there was a '69 Dodge Charger kit with an (unintentionally) lower roofline. See here:

Unfortunately, it has molded in vinyl top texture.

A diecast of some sort (Jada, maybe?) could donate it's wheels and tires..... you may could find a damaged one cheap.....

EDIT... These look like a good deal!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Set-24-pcs-Car-Wheels-Repairing-Add-On-Custom-1-24-Diecast-Car-Rubber-Tires/192855006017?hash=item2ce70ddb41:g:WF0AAOSwxtVcS3tN

Edited by JollySipper