Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT ‘36 Ford Coupe

NOBLNG

On 10/4/2020 at 10:59 AM, NOBLNG said:

I’m calling this one done. I used epoxy to mount the headlight buckets since they seem to need to lean out a bit to clear the hood. The mounts molded to the fenders should have been slightly farther apart? I also made some taillight lens from clear red sprue because there were none in the kit. Under glass pics:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/156196-amt-‘36-ford/ADD6F8E5-783C-4852-B0AD-54887402C398.jpeg

E6DA63F4-571C-4C08-B6E4-16FB0E552B0B.jpeg

Thankfully, Zippi gave this one new life.  The bodywork is incredibly nice, Greg. After seeing this, I think I may be sold on sprue-goo. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, NOBLNG said:

This is going to be a time filler build in between other stuff. From what I’ve read on here and what I’ve seen so far, it is a horrible kit. That said, I am going to try some body work and some modifications I haven’t attempted before. If I mess it up beyond repair, no biggie! I started by glueing the roof on which doesn’t fit well at all. I made some sprue-glue up and pasted it on the seams. I will attempt to file it closer to the proper shape when dry.

A26A23ED-033B-4669-AAC1-C700EB4FFD4B.jpeg

3FFE1A8A-31F5-47CA-8DF2-C7287BEC4331.jpeg

5C93A4AE-127A-41A9-B0C3-684D403982C7.jpeg

I like your 36 it looks good stock the color fit it be glad you don't have the original kit the original kit you had a choice between a convertible or a coupe I didn't like the way they did it this looks nice. I wish AMT would make a Victoria body you may know it as a slant back my brother had one with a full raced Olds with a four speed hydro the car use to belong to Tom Mc Mullen.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:28 AM, Zippi said:

Just pulled this kit out of the stash and was checking out some wheel options and noticed the pour fit of the top section of the car to the body.  While doing some research on this issue I came across this old thread of yours where you did a bang up job making up some sprue glue and filling that gap.  I'm headed to the hobby shop today some I'll pick up some Tamiya Extra Thin Cement as I don't think they carry the Mr. Hobby.    

Another way to improve the fit is to cut the body away from the firewall down the sides by making a vertical cut up the side where they meet. Then you can bend the body out to line up with the bottom edge of the roof and glue. Then fill in any gap between the firewall and body (it should be small). I've seen other builders do it and I plan to when i get around to building another.

36 minutes ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I like your 36 it looks good stock the color fit it be glad you don't have the original kit the original kit you had a choice between a convertible or a coupe I didn't like the way they did it this looks nice. I wish AMT would make a Victoria body you may know it as a slant back my brother had one with a full raced Olds with a four speed hydro the car use to belong to Tom Mc Mullen.

The first photo is a photo of Tom before the 36 I also can give you photos of the car after the 36 the roadster he had made an appearance on the TV show Lassie and who was driving that car at that time not other than TV Ivo.

102-mcmullen-roadster-wax-job.jpg

gplus42862389.jpg

21 hours ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I guess I spoke too soon I enlarged the photo of the first set of photos and noticed around the top you had to glue that section in this kit must have been like the one I described you got a bit of Sanding to do and maybe some filling. I still have that 36 and the last time I seen it I haven't figured out what to do with it I built it as a one-piece body with a scoop coming up right by the front window it looks like a 63 funny car the only trouble is they didn't have funny cars back then I painted it canary yellow. Oh well one of these days it'll get finished along with one of the original AC Cobra kits car which is almost done it has a great big blown 427 Ford engine coming out of the body.