Model Cars Magazine Forum

G,day , When i was a young fella and worked in a workshop in the 70's , the detroit 8.71's were a sortof army pale green , and the cummins were a tan -bone colour . The closest colour i found for the detroits was humberol brush tin number 78 . It drys sortof satin finish . The cummins colour is again humbrol brush tin number 7 , it drys a gloss . Some of the smaller detroits were a light blue but mainly the one's i saw were the greeny colour . As i said that was in the mid 70's in australia . Cheer's scummy.

Mark,

They are basically the same colors here in the US. Only Peterbilt & Kenworth wanted them white; International wanted them red; and Ford wanted them blue.

Model Truck & Construction out of Toukley, Australia, has a good list of engine colors:

http://www.modeltrucks.com.au/page20.html

Parts Associates, Inc. sells the DD Series 60 Blue:

https://www.pai-net.com/Secure/productdetai...ProductId=87104

And you should be able to get Dupli-Color Engine Enamel Detroit Diesel Alpine Green (DE1618) & Cummins Beige (DE1638) at your local auto parts store. I got mine at NAPA.

This comes up from time to time. There's just no substitute for the real thing, and the real thing is not hard to find.

Go to a well stocked automotive parts store and get a spray can of Detroit Diesel Alpine Green if you want DD Green, Or get Cat Yellow, or get Cummins Beige...Ford Blue... In any given city, there are more parts stores than hobby shops. The paint will be cheaper than the hobby shop's too.

I have seen (and tried) so many attempts at getting these colors "close". OK, You can fake it fairly well on the Cummins Beige, maybe, but Cat Yellow and DD green are very distinctive, and hard to match. Some colors I have seen suggested and even used are way off when compared to the real deal.

So, you're probably closer to a parts store, know what to look for, can get the EXACT color, and don't mind saving a few bucks. Why some guys keep trying to find a way to make this hard, more expensive, and still not end up with the right color is beyond me.

I'm not knocking you for asking what the correct color for your Pete's engine ought to be here, by the way. Just putting you on the trail to the way to get those above colors right! B)

Oh. And use a good primer, use the usual precautionary measures like testing compatibility on a piece of scrap, etc. Dan

Edited by Southgate

Hi, Does anyone have any pictures of how to paint the engine and transmission in the amt peterbilt 359 or can tell me where to find some.Thanks I've looked everywhere and can't find any.

All pre 1982 or so, cummins engines were tan in color, cats have always been yellow.Tranys were mostly black.

This comes up from time to time. There's just no substitute for the real thing, and the real thing is not hard to find.

Go to a well stocked automotive parts store and get a spray can of Detroit Diesel Alpine Green if you want DD Green, Or get Cat Yellow, or get Cummins Beige...Ford Blue... In any given city, there are more parts stores than hobby shops. The paint will be cheaper than the hobby shop's too.

I have seen (and tried) so many attempts at getting these colors "close". OK, You can fake it fairly well on the Cummins Beige, maybe, but Cat Yellow and DD green are very distinctive, and hard to match. Some colors I have seen suggested and even used are way off when compared to the real deal.

So, you're probably closer to a parts store, know what to look for, can get the EXACT color, and don't mind saving a few bucks. Why some guys keep trying to find a way to make this hard, more expensive, and still not end up with the right color is beyond me.

I'm not knocking you for asking what the correct color for your Pete's engine ought to be here, by the way. Just putting you on the trail to the way to get those above colors right! :D

Oh. And use a good primer, use the usual precautionary measures like testing compatibility on a piece of scrap, etc. Dan

I forgot to mention I have some original sales books with these engines. I could try scanning one into my computer if you need a copy.