Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restomod rescue - AMT 1966 Oldsmobile 442

RickRollerLT1

This AMT '66 Olds started life as a very old build crica 2009. It was a mild custom painted a similar red like on the box, and had a LS1 swap from a Revell 2002 Camaro with "20 mag wheels from a Revell 66 Chevelle SS Wagon.  At some point it was mined for parts, mainly the wheels and LS1 motor, to go on other projects. After a few years of sitting on the shelf in pieces, it ended up scrapped in a storage crate until being found in a parts hunt very recently. Surprisingly, most of the essential parts were there even the front+ rear glass, which is rare when finding parts to resurrect an old build. Unfortunately, I could not find the hood and the rear suspension along with small bits like the clear front lenses and clear red taillights were missing.  

I couldn't find the kit's 442's W30 motor it originally came with (might have given it to a club member in a trade for wheels) and I didn't feel like raiding my other mint kit for it, so I had gathered up an LT1 using a Revell 4th Gen Trans Am for the block and a Monogram '92 Corvette for the heads and fan belt/water pump setup (Monogram's Corvette motor had an auto trans and wouldn't fit properly in the Old's frame). I know it's a Chevy motor in a Olds, but it's the only complete setup I could find that would fit without major work. While I was able to find clear front lenses and make taillights from clear styrene pieces, I still couldn't find the hood after I had stripped the rest in the purple bath and that was gonna be an issue. I couldn't see myself raiding the hood from one of the mint kits in my stash (that I also plan to build someday) and refused to succumb to Ebay prices just for the hood alone. As I came up with ideas I remembered a crazy looking 67 Chevelle I saw at a car show back in 2009 that, apparently had no hood, but contained a big block Chevy with not only a fuel injected Roots high rise Supercharger with plumbing to the radiator, but was also twin turbocharged and appeared to have had the intercooler built in in the radiator.

With that idea brewing, I got to work on parts hunting! I gathered up a flat manifold from an AMT Chevy 350 motor of some subject, a Roots Supercharger from the AMT Silhouette, and pulley belts from the Revell '68 Firebird's optional supercharger setup. I also sourced different 350 LT1 headers and placed them upside down to put the two resin turbos on. After finding some more tidbits and other '92 Corvette parts, there is where i'm at

20200415_202742.thumb.jpg.90fde6fe2108497d755ae7a8aa9ef581.jpg

20200415_202840.thumb.jpg.353949248ffc1d941119d9e8efa5aced.jpg

20200415_202813.thumb.jpg.c7317d7e6cf97bd7ba2d3850efab968d.jpg

The front suspension was mostly intact, just needed new springs and spindles. I also cooked up a 4 link style rear suspension and plan to add a side exhaust system from an old Monogrma '71 Cuda built up. I had also found a matching set of the custom wheels from the Revell 66 Chevelle SS Wagon that were originally used and used brakes from the Monogram '92 Corvette. I had set a right height setup that looks dope dayumm, but forgot to take pics of it before I got it ready for paint! 

More to come soon